9/7 Frosty AMPS 197, threw up all day, +11 144. What to give/feed? GI workup tomorrow morning.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 7, 2018.

1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure what is going on with Frosty's sugars, but when we got home we found he threw up most of his food this morning. We reviewed the Nest camera footage, and it happened at +2 (large, most of it) and again at +6. There are multiple other spots in areas that aren't covered with the cameras.

He's not himself. He slept comfortably all day according to the camera, but right now he's not as vocal as usual (he normally screams bloody murder around feeding times, follows me around, and tries to steal my food). He meowed a couple of times and followed me upstairs, and just sits there and stares.

Luckily, his GI workup was scheduled for tomorrow morning, so timing is on our side for once. Last time this happened to him was about a month ago. About once a month he throws up like this, but his sugars are usually not this low.

My plan is to try to feed him in really small increments some food between his usual feeding time and about 2 hours later. I am not sure if I should even try to give him insulin or hold off. I could give him 1 unit at his usual time, since I am planning on giving him 1 unit (1/2 of his usual dose) tomorrow morning while he is NPO before his ultrasound which will require sedation.

I also want to ask them to do the whole workup - blood work if he needs it, and endoscopy if he's gonna be under anesthesia anyway. Whatever they need to do to actually give me a diagnosis. I don't want to spend $1000-2000 and still not know what's going on. I also want him to undergo anesthesia once.

I palpated his belly and it's very soft and not tender at all, so I don't think it's his pancreas. (although who knows, cats are tough like that.... maybe it is). The vet discussed possibility of small cell lymphoma with me last time we spoke. Or could it be gastritis from Vetoryl? or maybe even his pituitary tumor? I really don't even know. But I hope to get some answers. I feel so bad for him. :(

Any advice on insulin dosing tonight would be appreciated. @Wendy&Neko - in the off chance that you have wifi again ;)

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’d call the vet. When Max had anesthesia I gave lantus the night before but skipped the morning.

3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I was told to give him 1/2 the dose tomorrow but with his sugars being this low I’m not really sure what to do/give.

Trying to feed him now but not giving insulin yet in case he throws up again.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Ana, I am so sorry that Frosty is vomiting like that. Can you try some plain all meat baby food, chicken or turkey, beechnut has no corn starch, but lots here give the Gerbers.

As far as dosing, I think your strategy to see if he keeps his dinner down is a good one and also smaller more frequent meals while he is having issues.

Good timing with the appointment tomorrow and hoping you get a good report.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

No, it was before we even knew about his Cushing’s unfortunately, and it happens intermittently. I also started him on Pepcid in the morning a month ago but it hasn’t helped. :(

7. Bobbie And Bubba

I hope you get answers tomorrow. :bighug:

8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I fed him 1/2 can FF x3 over the last 3 hours and so far he’s tolerated but his sugar is still under 200. I’m gonna wait another hour to make sure he doesn’t throw up and if at that point he’s over 200 I’ll give him 2 units, otherwise i might skip or give 1.

Tomorrow morning he gets 1 unit and is NPO. I’m fine with him being in the 100s (SLSG, AT) but not under given that he’s throwing up. Don’t wanna push him into a hypo episode when he can’t keep food down.

He won’t be getting his Vetoryl tomorrow morning either so that might bring his sugars up a bit. Normally hypo isn’t much of an issue with him bc even when he throws up he’s still in the 200-300. Not sure why his sugars have been lower than normal these last few days. Maybe his stomach is just not moving things along like it’s supposed to and he’s not actually digesting/absorbing things as he’s supposed to?

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

When Leo had the SRT (radiation) for his Acro, I reduced insulin big time. This is not the same, but a skipped dose is always better than a hypo. If Frosty doesn't come up enough tomorrow, then I would do a half dose or skip it.

Leo also has vomit issues almost every day. Probably from the small cell lymphoma, but maybe not. We try to ensure he gets enough food absorbed over the longer period to keep his body weight up. Sorry to hear that Frosty is having these intestinal issues.

10. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hope the vet can figure things out and Frosty feels better soon!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, made landfall too late to respond. With tonight's shot being so much later, a skip tomorrow is a consideration. Hope things go well at the vet tomorrow. :bighug:

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vets. I hope you get answers.