9/7 So long for now, sweet Charlie girl

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by charliesmom, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Jill))) My heart breaks for your loss. It is so painful and the not knowing why really works on the mind. I pray for peace for you. Charlie is already running with his friends and telling them about the wonderful life he had with you.

Jane

2. charliesmom

charliesmom Member

I found out just now that earlier today, our friends made this video to celebrate charlie's official completion of the 14 day test. They took the video down out of respect when Charlie left us, but since it brought me so much joy just now watching it, I really want to share it with those of you who have grieved with us today. Happiness is so much more of a positive emotion. So before bed, I leave you with this happy celebration of old Charlie girl and her successful, miracle achievement (all while on her back)! Success SHOULD come easy, should'nt it?

be happy

3. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

I watched the video first thing this morning in celebration of Charlie going off the juice ~ and I just re-watched it in honor of her life. What a beautiful tribute to your darling girl. Sending you love :YMHUG:

Fly free, sweet Charlie.

4. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

more than true.... i cannot say it any better.
    we will always remember you Charlie.

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I watched the video this morning too and was about to post when I saw the update. She is so cute. Especially wagging her tail while laying on her back.

Congratulations Charlie :mrgreen: We'll miss you :)
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy Living at The Fall Charlie!

I have this quote as my signature on my personal email. Very true.

Big Tears. Huge Tears.

Fly Free Beautiful Charlie Girl.

Be Happy and Healthy and find a way to tell your mom you're okay.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i'm so sorry, jill. i know how much you'll miss her. her OTJ video is a WONDERFUL tribute to her - i loved the swishing tail and the foot disturbing her. she looks like a very special sweet kitter.

7. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Janet and Izzy (GA) Member

I watched Charlie's video through my tears. It's a wonderful tribute to her. It still breaks my heart that she is gone and there seems to be no answers as to what went wrong. The stars are little brighter tonight. Fly Free Charlie. :sad:

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm so glad you and Carolyn posted the video. It is a wonderful and amazing tribute to her and lets us all see Charlie as she really was.....what a character and a bright spirit. She will be with you always, Jill.

9. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Jill. (((Hugs))). Fly free sweet Charlie.

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

Please accept my condolences for the loss of sweet, beautiful Charlie. Fly free, sweet beloved girl, and land softly.

You and your family are in my in thoughts and prayers, and may God help heal your broken heart quickly.

11. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

(((((Hugs to you & your family)))))

wings_cat Fly free, Precious Angel Charlie wings_cat

12. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

Every time I read of a kitty...or any animal...that crossed the Bridge, I cry...I feel the pain for the person who is left behind....it's so hard.

I have not been here as much...and am trying to catch up...and I am sooo very sorry, Jill. There is no doubt in my mind that you...that each one of us...always goes above and beyond everything we can possibly to do keep our furbabies healthy and happy.

But, sometimes, we just have to let go because although that's the hardest thing..the most unselfish thing...it's the right thing. I hate it, I hate to see others have to do it...but...when we know that our baby is healthy, whole, and pain free, it does bring a bit of comfort.

Prayers and hugs for you, Jill. May Charlie pounce across the Bridge and be united with so many that have gone before. Sunbeams, treats, and scritches galore await her. Fly free Sweet Charlie

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding my belated condolences...Jill you dont know me. I dont know you but we do know pain, sadly shared. Charlie sounds like a one of a kind kitty. A kitty to leave loving happy memories, keep them close.

Charlie may your journey include a forever spot in your mamas heart. Land ever so softly little one. Ever so softly.

My sincere condolences,
    jeanne

For your Charlie Girl:
    http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/mes ... d=19292150

14. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

(((Jill))),

My thoughts have been with you & Charlie ever since hearing the news yesterday. I haven't been able to get Charlie from my mind. We recently lost 2 dear cats - both to a stroke/spinal thrombosis. I think with Chris & Rhiannon & several others Charlie may have had a stroke / blood clot. Both my cats' symptoms were similar to Charlie's.

The first (Max) died in my arms on the way to the vet - we had no idea what was happening. In the middle of the night he started crying & we found him collapsed on the floor unable to move his rear legs. His eyes were dilated & staring & he was panting. He lost his water. He couldn't move on his own, & moving him was excruciating. We got him into the car, & were racing to the ER when he flipped violently in my arms, then was still. When we got to the ER, Max was gone. I was in a daze - he'd been fine at bedtime.

The ER tech called me afterwards to tell me the vet examined Max & from our description, thought Max had a spinal thrombosis (blod clot/stroke) that initially lodged in his spine, paralyzing his rear legs. It may have moved to his lungs causing the respiratory distress - or he was in shock, or both. During the trip to the ER, it dislodged again, probably to his heart, & he passed instantly.

The tech felt compelled to call because she'd just lost her cat to the same thing & understood our shock. She wanted me to know there is no warning in these cases, & nothing diagnosable ahead of time. She said the few cats that survive the vet trip & the clot, have a poor prognosis & quality of life, so euthanasia is usu. recommended as best for the cat.

She helped me immensely - it happened so quickly I feared I'd done something wrong & was blaming myself for overlooking something. Max recently had a full blood panel quite & was in great health. He had no heart murmur.

Our second cat (Tonto2) then also had a stroke. His rear legs were useless & eyes were dilated, he was in shock, fearful & confused. He struggled to move. I recognized the symptoms & knew we had no options. It was early Sunday AM & our beloved vet came asap. She gently checked Tonto, stroked him & said: "You're not blaming yourself, are you, because there's no way of predicting this and there's nothing you could have done - I lost one of mine the same way - that's why I had to come so quickly, I know how horrible it is". Tonto2 passed 8 months to the day of his beloved Max.

Both women really helped me understand there was nothing I could have done except be there for them: love and support them, and ease them into their next life. Being a helpless witness is one of the hardest lessons for a caregiver to accept.

Yes, Charlie may have hit her head when she was zipping around the house, feeling so happy and proud of herself that day! Yes, that may have chipped her tooth and created a blood clot that moved around until it became deadly. Or it may have been entirely unrelated and just happened at the same time. Either way, you were a helpless witness, who by Grace & luck caught it shortly after it became deadly & were able to get Charlie to the best help to do anything you could so that she was as pain free as possible.

I hope I didn't overstep my boundaries, but like the women who spoke with me, I felt compelled to tell you. I hope my experiences can help you know there was nothing more you as a caregiver & Mom could do to make it better, other than love her, support her, witness her, and help ease her into her next life. Charlie's accident was a horrible tragedy.

Thankfully we can all witness Charlie now in her video & she'll have good friends with her at the Rainbow Bridge Falls & much love & support from around the world to help guide her on her journey.

15. Onyx & Klepto

Onyx & Klepto Member

Jill, I am so very sorry for your unexpected loss. My heart is breaking for you.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Lighting a ring of candles, in memory of sweet Charlie girl

Attached Files:

17. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not on here much anymore, so I guess you don't know me, but I'm so, so sorry for your sudden loss. My heart was breaking as I read the post :sad: I just wanted to send you my prayers and deepest sympathy.

Rachel

18. charliesmom

charliesmom Member

Tigger's friend & family,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's possible that is what happened. I really do not know. In the end, we are sad, but also happy that she is at peace now and not in any pain.

Selfishly, we just miss her company.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and friendship.

Jill

19. Jason & Belle (GA)

Jason & Belle (GA) Member

Jill,

I haven't posted here in awhile, since my Gracie went OTJ, but your story hit home with me. I was really sorry to read about Charlie and hope you're hanging in there. On August 28th, I lost my beautiful Tuxedo girl, Samantha and her circumstances were very similar. Now she was 18 and had problems, but for the most part she was doing great, playing and eating. The week before I noticed she was breathing heavier than normal, and brought her to the ER. She had fluid in her lungs, and they determined she had HCM. She was on fluids for Kidney issues, so they assumed that was the issue. That night in the ER, I noticed she was shivering, probably twitching slightly and asked about it. The didn't think it was anything. I took her home that Friday and she seemed much better, but unfortunately by Tuesday she was weaker in the back legs and didn't move around much, practically laying on her food and water bowls. Her breathing was also labored. We took her back to the ER and her heart and everything else was fine, no fluid. The doctor said she was probably just sore from her arthritis and sent us back home with some bubrenorphine. At about 5:30 that night, I gave her half a dose of that, and soon after she couldn't walk at all and vomited. Assuming it was the pain killer, we didn't panic, but at 5:30am the next morning, she wasn't better and vomited again. This time, she was catatonic. Her jaw was locked shut and she wasn't moving. At the ER, she didn't improve at all and we had to let her go.

Like you, I was initially confused about what had happened, but thinking back to the first sign of trouble, the twitching I noticed was the key. She had had a minor stroke, but continued to get worse until the big one hit a few days later. I was mad that she had spent so much time at the ER and nobody realized what was happening, but the reality is, they couldn't have done anything anyway. She would have spent her last days in the hospital instead of with me.

I'm sorry to come into your thread for Charlie and focus on Samantha, but their stories were very similar, and they looked very similar. In the end, I guess we'll both have questions, but it seems like we did everything within our power to do right by them. Sometimes, bad things just happen and there is nothing that can be done. They were family, and having an empty spot in our hearts and homes is life altering. We just need to get used to the new normal without them.

This is Samantha's memorial.. http://www.goodshepherdpet.com/topic.php?blog_id=498165

Jason

20. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I just read about Charlie on the FB page. I am so terribly sorry. I lost Maverick while at a routine vet appointment. The shock was immense and the guilt was a lot to deal with. My heart breaks for you. I believe in my heart our kitties were meant to be only ours - Charlie was meant to be yours. You are an amazing loving parent and I know Charlie will be by your side in spirit always. Remember you did everything you did out of love and it was beyond your control. Sending you big hugs.

21. mtncat58

mtncat58 Well-Known Member

run free at the bridge I am so sorry and I just asked my vet if I could get pain meds for Taz and kalohe after there dental surgery and they told me no because cats can have bad reactions to it. I'm stunned. I'm sure you will cherish the video for Charlies OTJ remembrance, sending healing vines and no it's not just a cat they are part of your heart and soul furever.

22. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss of Charlie. Please dont beat yourself up over what ifs. You were the best family for her and she knew it. (((hugs)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.