9 July Tucker AMPS 16.2 4.5 units PMPS 16.4 4.5 units

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker

Tucker Member

NOT HAPPY! After getting Tucker in the super happy range of BLUE last night and watching him playing with his siblings and acting normal........my family dropped the ball. I'm dealing with a concussion and having to count on the two other adults in this family to follow the rules. I woke up to Tucker in bed with me and the bedroom door wide open. Walked out and there was a HUGE bowl of Advance dry food out where the kittens eat. The second bowl was empty.... Advance is like crack to Tucker, he cannot stop once he starts. I tested him and he was 19.4 at +4. At + 6 he was 24.8. He looks very unwell and is hiding under a bed. When I tried to get him out he actually growled at me. Is this normal after a carbs binge? Will this throw out work to get him regulated out of whack for a long time? Advice @Bron and Sheba @JeffJ ??

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Patty - he will be fine. Our other 2 cats get some dry food too. We try to get the best dry food. Little Dude will only eat a little wet food. Anyhow you are right. Dry Food = Crack.

Leo LOVES dry food. If I turn my back for a second, Mr.Sneaky gets into it. So now we have to watch each cat eat. That was fun like....well 18 months ago. Now it is like watching paint dry.:D:eek:

Tucker will be fine. He is riding a big sugar carb high with that dry food.

Hey - you didn't even post any kitten pics. No fair. We "need" to see them to assess their health :D:joyful:

1:15am here, going to bed.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

This will probably only affect his 12 hour curve unless he gorged.

4. Tucker

Tucker Member

IMG_0702.JPG

5. Tucker

Tucker Member

@JeffJ Dear Jeff, Meet Daisy (blue point) and Teddy (chocolate point). Daisy is Tucker's best pal :)

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patty,
    I agree with Jeff.
    Tucker will be fine. He is probably feeling pretty yuk at the moment.... just like we do when we gorge on sugary food.
    I remember when Sheba got into a lot of dry food early in our FD journey and she was looking very sick all the next day! I found she had torn open a new pkt of dry dog food and was eating it.
    The best thing you can do for Daisy and Teddy is ditch the dry as well. It’s very bad for all cats

JeffJ likes this.
  7. Tucker

Tucker Member

We have one bag left of the Advance dry that my husband didn't want to waste. We've been transitioning them over to wet food. We have one concern for Tucker with regards to wet food, actually. Maybe you can weigh in on this? I've noticed from reading this forum that diabetic cats seem to have dental issues, is that from not cleaning their teeth with hard food? It seems like same cats are doing well and then go downhill suddenly when it's discovered they are having dental issues. We had Tuck's teeth cleaned a year ago but now that he isn't getting the dental variety of premium dry, we've wondered if his teeth will suffer. That's why we chose to go with BARF as his wet food, it is raw and has some hard bits through it that we thought might be more of a natural teeth cleanser. At the moment the younguns have perfect teeth and health so we aren't too worried about putting them on CORE or FF, but we are concerned for Tucker's teeth. Petbarn also told me about this hard food (very expensive) that is actually freeze dried wet food with virtually no carbs. It looks like tiny pieces of jerky. What do you think of that as an option?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is a myth that dry food cleans the teeth!
    It is simply not true. And I don’t know why vets say it does.
    Most cats do not chew dry anyway but swollow it whole. When they vomit it back it is in whole pieces.
    I feed Harry a raw diet ( frankenprey diet) and he has beautiful white teeth. He’s 22 months old. I give him bones 3 times a week that keep his teeth very clean.
    I worry about teeth too but find the raw and bones do a very good job. I used to give Sheba bones too and the vet used to say she had the best teeth he had seen in a cat her age. She had no gingivitis or plaque and she never had her teeth cleaned at the vet. She was 15 when she died.
    You could always clean their teeth. That is popular now and a very good idea.

The freeze dried food sounds ok if it is low carb. I guess you would just give a small amount daily?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Reason for edit: added info
    JeffJ likes this.
  9. Tucker

Tucker Member

Going to WW to get the bones tomorrow. Thank you, great tip!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  10. Tucker

Tucker Member

PMPS 16.4. On his way back down a bit.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok Tucker.......no more dry food. ;)

12. Tucker

Tucker Member

+5 15.0

13. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Bron, what kind of bones? I am concerned about dental health too and have tried raw chicken wings. He just sniffs and looks at them. I am going to try to lightly roast the outside of the wing, to see if he will be enticed and begin to chew the meat off.

14. Idjit's mom

Patty, those kittens are adorable! I bet you have a really good time watching them. I'm glad Tucker has a special friend. Poor Tucker, I hope he gets over his sugar high soon. And I hope you are feeling better too.

JeffJ and Tucker like this.
  15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Those two kittens have a cuteness factor of 10+. I will show the picture to Theresa as well. Adorable.

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Don’t cook the bones! Dangerous!
    Try a chicken neck or part of a wing and dribble over some tuna juice or something similar to see if that helps @Idjit's mom

Also chicken giblets are good. Very chewy. You might call them gizzards in the US

17. Idjit's mom

I didn't cook the chicken wing part, just kinda warmed the outside. I had frozen the bigger wing pieces individually, and this was straight out of the freezer. He chewed on it, I took it away when he bit off the end of the bone, and let him have the rest of the meat off the bone. I wasn't sure he would eat the raw meat. I am not sure it's agreeing with him though.

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I unfreeze mine, then put on a plate in hot water to warm it. The plate sits in water not the meat.
    Harry eats all the bone as well but chewing the meat off the bone is great for cleaning the teeth.

19. Idjit's mom

Sorry Patty, hijacked your thread. Hope all is well with you and Tucker.

20. Tucker

Tucker Member

Don't be silly! We are doing ok, learning more each week. He's pretty happy overall. Thanks for checking in on us!

Idjit's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.