911: BG readings are all over the map: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rocky&ClaireCat, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

Should I give this cat his ProZinc tonight?

Hi there! We are new to ProZinc, since Rocky was diagnosed with sudden onset diabetes when he had acute pancreatitis on Aug 1. He has survived the pancreatitis and is getting better and better every day. In fact, he's nearly back to normal. I'd say he's 'mostly himself.' So, my question - When I test his BG with the AlphaTrak2, sometimes I get readings that are way 'off'. Just now, I tested him and it was 95. I didn't believe that, since at this time of day, he's usually in the upper 200's or low 300's. So, I re-tested, and he is 161 in the other ear. Should I believe these numbers at all? When he was at the vet (internist) on MONDAY, his BG was in the 100's - normal range. (He was there about 5 hours for tests.) He was about 100 when we came home at supper time, as well. The vet said his diabetes could reverse itself, so I have to watch carefully that I don't dose him if his numbers don't warrant. What would you do? 95 an 161... do I dose? Do I check again in a few hours? He had 1 unit of ProZinc 12 hours ago. His spreadsheet shows data from the day I got the meter.

Thanks much!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that's a weird one! Could you try to get one more test? My guess is the 161 is more likely to be correct, but it never hurts to try again and see what you get. I wouldn't give a dose without getting another test, for sure.

3. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

This happens a lot with the AlphaTrak2 meter. Numbers can be all over the map. Another time, I got 310, 165, 200 on 3 tests within seconds of each other!!!!!

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Numbers are often going to be kind of wonky on any meter...there's a variance so you'll get different numbers like that. It can be funky if you don't get enough blood too...I think the AT takes more blood that the meter I used, so maybe you didn't quite get enough for that first test. It happens. :)

5. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

Ok. Took a 3rd reading . He was not happy! It was 138.

6. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

The AlphATrak only needs a TINY bit of blood, and it only has to hit those 2 spikes that come out of the bottom (at the black marks), so I can get those readings really easily on him with little blood.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well I think you can assume he's somewhere in the mid 100s for real then. I'd skip the shot. It's still early days for you guys and I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a shot on those numbers, especially on the AT.

8. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

I am tempted to skip, as well. His primary vet had initially said to only dose if he was under 300, but he really needed the insulin to let his pancreas rest. It was a mess on both ultrasounds (10 days apart) and looked like it had exploded.

9. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

Thank you so much, Rachel!

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Of course! Anytime!

11. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

FYI - this morning, he was at 205, which is about normal for mornings.

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This can be so hard, especially at the start. During and after any illness their numbers can be particularly wonky and that adds to the stress. Aim for a +2 today and at least one more between +5 and +7 to see how he'll do on the 1 u dose. Those tests between doses are very important when you're trying to figure out how kitty is responding to the insulin. :)

13. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

The vet asked me NOT to check him between the 12-hour readings for now.

14. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

The mid-cycle tests are what tell you if the dose is working. They also tell you before a cat gets dangerously hypoglycemic. Given the numbers that you're seeing, not checking the mid-cycle BG is flat out dangerous, and bad advice on the part of your vet. I hope you will reconsider and follow Kris' suggestion.

15. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

That is terrible advice. As mentioned those mid cycle tests are very important. Especially with numbers you seem to be getting you should really consider doing a curve to find when your nadir is hitting. Then you should check at least at that time of the cycle each day to see how low he is getting. And doing another check before you go to bed at night to see how he is doing since our kitty's tend to go lower in the evenings.

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Did your vet say WHY? Without knowing how low he is going, there's no way to know if a dose is working or not, so you won't know whether to increase or decrease.

17. Rocky&ClaireCat

Rocky&ClaireCat Member

Ashley - the reason that all three vets said not to check in between right now is because he was too sick and they didn't think the readings would be very meaningful. Anyway, his BG appears to be normalizing, as his reading this morning was 172. Last night was 153. In between doses yesterday (+8) was 145. The night before was 138. He hasn't had insulin with those numbers, so shouldn't be dipping low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.