911 - cryptococcosis - any experience??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skinky44, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinky44

skinky44 Member

911 - i have some reason to believe that kitty has Cryptococcosis fungal infection. I was able to get one 150 mg pill of fluconazole. if anyone has experience with this or knows where to post or review, please advise. I am reading that dosages vary from 50mg every 12 hours to 2.5 - 10 mg daily. URGENT. please if anyone has info or experiences with this drug...

you can see my long story here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...o-has-swollen-face.130546/page-2#post-1350193

But am trying to get some immediate ideas of dosaging and people's experiences with this. this kitty is on her last legs...http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...o-has-swollen-face.130546/page-2#post-1350193

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

To other members reading this thread:

For the last number of days Skinky has been struggling to eat and drink, hence the urgency.

Skinky's mom, Laura, is also having great difficulty getting decent veterinary support (full details in the thread linked in the opening post.) Skinky is showing symtoms of nausea. She has been prescribed an appy stimulant but the vet at the humane society wouldn't give an Rx for anti-nausea meds today.

In addition to any help and advice about treating the fungal condition, any suggestions on how Laura can assist Skinky to get some food and fluids on board would be beyond helpful. (Laura is trying to syringe feed, but Skinky's suspected nausea is complicating things.)

Thank you.

3. Critter Mom

Hi Laura,

I've found a couple of links for you. The first one (from DVM360) has a concise overview of diagnosis and treatment, including dosage information. The second one also has dosage information. I've not read them through to see if there are any discrepancies between the two articles because I wanted to get the info to you as quickly as possible. FWIW, I've found other DVM360 articles to be very helpful.

DVM360 Article - Treating Feline Cryptococcosis (Proceedings)
    PetPlace.com Article - Cryptococcosis in Cats

Has Skinky managed to eat or drink anything?

EDITED TO ADD:

Here's another link to an excellent veterinary site. It has a very detailed article about cryptococcosis.

Vetbook.org - Cryptococcus Article

It has great information about diagnostic methods. Given that you're getting such a run-around from some of the vets over there, it might be well worth arming yourself with copies of the article to discuss with them, and also to satisfy yourself that you're happy with what they're doing/telling you.

The article also has information about different meds and their dosages. According to the authors,

It seems you've been given a good medication for Skinky. I'm pleased because you really could do with some positive news. :)

(((Laura and Skinky)))

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

How awful that the vet won't give you nausea medication. Do you have a good relationship with your own doctor? Maybe you can get some ondansetron that way? Have you tried finger feeding baby food? I don't know anything about fungal infections but do know that the tests for it can be expensive and can take a couple weeks to get the results back. I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time and hope you can get your kitty to eat.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I hope she responds but will the vet give you a script for more? I hope so.

Sending more prayers....

6. Critter Mom

Just a thought, Laura. Does Skinky groom her paws at the moment? If she does, maybe you could dab a little of her food onto her front paws to see if she might lick a little bit off? Also, have you tried raising her food dishes a bit? That really helped Saoirse to start eating again.

I'm so angry that those vets aren't helping you. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

(((Laura and Skinky)))

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,
    Just checking in to see how Skinky is doing this morning. We continue to keep her in our thoughts and prayers and are sending healing "vines" (good vibes). Have you thought any more about contacting one of the vet practices on the list I linked the other day? It can't be good to have to wait for several hours outdoors in this weather for the vet in the mobile office. I don't know where you live, but most of the practices on Dr. Peterson's list are in Manhattan. I don't know anything about the cost of a visit to any of them, but I do remember that Animal Kind in Brooklyn did not charge any more than other vets we had experience with. I know that money is a great concern to you. Perhaps you might call one of those offices tomorrow (Monday) and tell them about Skinky's alarming condition (omitting mention of the Humane Society, which might send up a red flag) and also tell them that your finances are very low. You might be able to work out a visit with installment paying. But most important, if you are able to bring Skinky in, you would have a good chance of getting prescriptions for the medications you need.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding prayers.....

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

More prayers. :bighug: Update?

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Hi Laura,

Checking in to see how you and Skinky are doing today. Has Skinky managed to eat a bit for you? Her little pictures from your crowd funding appeal keep coming into my mind. She's such a sweet little thing, and my heart aches for you both to see her so poorly. :( She couldn't have a more loving mom.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I wasn't so far away and that there was something I could do to help.

(((Laura and Skinky)))

:bighug: :bighug:

11. Critter Mom

Thinking of you both ...

(((Laura and Skinky)))

12. Critter Mom

Wondering how you are.

(((Laura and Skinky)))

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

We are wondering, too. Laura, will you be taking Skinky to a vet today?

Sending healing thoughts,

Ella & Rusty

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Adding prayers and hoping to see a good update.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Worried about you both. Sending prayers ... (((Laura & Skinky)))

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm still praying for you both. I hope others not posting are as well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.