911 feeding tube

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Johndooley, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

we just got our cat trouble back from the hospital again, now he has a feeding tube. the pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis got to the point where we could not syringe feed him anymore, with success trying to get the nutrients he needed
    Now that the feeding tube has been put in , we know that he's getting the nutrients that he needs at this point, and all the medications.
    However since he came back from the vet clinic, he wants to do nothing but lay in one spot. It's almost like he is so drugged up that he can barely focus on you when you try to pet him or talk to him. We did shownhim the litter box he has used it. But we are so worried about him , does anyone else have a cat with the feeding tube, that came home just absolutely tired and lethargic ? He doesn't want to do anything ! Is this normal? I think we are expecting too much too soon just need verification from others going through the same thing He might be tired because of multiple things , stress the medication, the pancreatitis, We just wondered if this behavior is normal Hopefully with the nutritionist getting now he will start to rebound soon. We are so worried that he will just give up

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Mario went into surgery for a blocked bile duct. He came out with a feeding tube. When I first saw him he looked terrible like on death's doorstep. It took him a few days to be more like himself.
    The symptoms that made me bring him is were lethargy, vomiting and not really eating.
    Tube feeding easier than syringe feeding.

3. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

My cat had a feeding tube after DKA, pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis. She was very ill and on 7 different meds. She mostly just laid around and slept for a few days. I think she was just healing and recovering. She started moving around more after a few days and then started eating on her own and was acting like herself again. We kept the tube in for a week after all the meds were done just in case she had a relapse and stopped eating again.

I know it's difficult, but give your kitty some time to heal. :bighug:

4. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Thank you. That really helps. We just want it to rapidly get better. I'm glad to hear you say that it took a few days. We know we're doing all we can , it just really sucks to see him like he is.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis can leave a cat so lethargic that it can look absolutely wiped out. Energy levels improve as the cat starts to improve with treatment. Monitor hydration levels very regularly and keep a journal of when he poops; constipation can be a problem and it may tend to make the lethargy worse at times. If he's not receiving B12 injections yet, a course of same can help enormously.

IDEXX Pancreatitis Treatment Guidelines

Rooting for your little one. :bighug:

Mogs

6. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Thank you all so much for your support ! you guys of been wonderful ! I have the greatest news ever , and it may be premature , but I'm going to let you know anyway . our cat has been fighting with pancreatitis and diabetes , and hepatic lipidosis for a little over three weeks , to a month now . Today was the first day that he came out from hiding ! I can't really describe it , but for the last month , we thought we might have to put him to sleep . After numerous vet visits and a lot of money , which doesn't matter to us , it's about saving our boy ! Even the vet told us there was no more they could do , it was up to Trouble , and God . He was just laying with his eyes glazed over , didnt want to move , and couldn't do hardly anything . We put him in the litter box , and then he'd just crawl back under the couch . this routine lasted for the last two weeks. I told everyone I knew to pray , I was praying , everybody's been praying , you all have been praying , and I think that God answered our prayers. I can tell you it is been the most difficult thing ever , to watch him lie there , and look like he just wanted to die. Today is good news , and I know that some of you don't have good news , and I am so sorry , and believe me , we know what you're going through . We are going to stick with him , and we are going to fight for him , and do everything we can , to get him back to a version of what he was. My name is John Dooley ... Our cats name is trouble . Please go to YouTube and watch the video . I hope it gives you a little bit of comfort as to what can happen , if you just stick with the feeding tube , stick with the medications , and positive prayer. Our vet Hospital here in city Iowa , "bright eyed bushytailes"did everything they could for us , and so far , we have nothing but great things to say about those people . EVERYONE of them cares about your pet , and wants the best for him or her. To most of you , it may look just like a normal cat looking out the window , but for us .....that's him taking his life back, and fighting to survive , and telling that kitty "Grim Reaper". To shove it! "I'm staying here you can't take me ". Thank you all so much! I know we are not through this yet, but the weight that we've been caring for the last month , was lifted today......At least enough now , that we can breathe!

BJM, Alexi and Sharon14 like this.
  7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great video! I'm so happy for you and Trouble. Sending prayer and positive thoughts for a continued, speedy recovery!!!

8. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! I am thrilled to hear Trouble is feeling better! Keep up the good healing, Trouble! :cat::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.