911: Gagging reflex, non eating, diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristina, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Thank goodness Brady's home! Awww his nose is scabby? Poor little guy. Kisses, hugs, and a bit of neosporin will make that all better:bighug: Now let's try to keep him at home. Scabby nose or not, he's a gorgeous kitty! Oh my, he has such expressive eyes! He looks like an Old Soul.

Whaddaya know...I take metoclopramide! Better living through chemicals, right?

Yes, with Reglan, a certain percentage of beans, (and cats) can end up with permanent muscle spasms..they call em tics in human terms. The drug's worth it. Moglet, Saorise is lucky her tic went away...in most cases they don't. But then she's got a really good, observant mommy to monitor her:D

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Kristina

Kristina Member

Brady is acting so much better and hopefully he will stay that way. He is always famished now that he is on steroids.

Thanks for pointing out central nervous system issues with metoclopramide; it's good to know this information.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

With the steroids, your cat's blood sugars will probably increase. If you can home monitor, then insulin adjustments will probably be necessary to account for the increase.

5. Kristina

Kristina Member

That's the scary part about giving steroids. I have my BG monitor and test strips just need to get up the nerve to prick Brady's ear without getting clawed! It's the right thing to do, so it will happen. My stress level is so high with his illness, that I bet my blood sugar is up also (even though I'm not diabetic). ;)

Thanks for all the reminders so I can keep Brady well!

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kristina,

Great news about Brady's progress. I'm very pleased and relieved for you both. :)

On home testing, incorporating lots of fuss, praise, and freeze-dried protein treats into the routine can help a lot. Also, when you first start testing, make sure you warm the ear up longer than you think might be necessary so that more blood will flow in the test area. For info, as you continue to test more capillaries form in the test sites and it gets progressively easier to get blood samples consistently. Be sure to give a shout if you need help or tips.

Mogs

7. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Making a sort of "ritual" out of the ear poking helps turn it into a positive experience. Do the same thing each time in the same area of the house, ex. give lots of attention, then treat, then sit on lap, then poke. Max gets snuggle time on the bed (where he's not normally allowed) then hops on my lap and purrs the whole time. He even watches the meter until it beeps, then runs away. Lol. He likes getting poked.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Kristina

Kristina Member

Max is a good kitty! I will try your suggestions and see if Brady can follow Max's example. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It helps with the early stages of testing if you act in a very positive, no nonsense, 'this is how it's gonna be', businesslike fashion. Even if you don't actually feel that way; pretend. ;)

10. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Lymphoma/Diabetic New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.