911 Help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ickes, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Ickes

Ickes Member

Sorry to sound so urgent but I think my cat Noah May he going into remission even though he has been diabetic for over a year. He has went into the 30’s twice I. The last few days. He was in 3.75 the first time so I lowered his dose to 3.5 and he still went too low. Took him down to 3 last night he started out 274 at shot time shot I gave him 3 units and last night I checked at 12 am which was four hours in and he was 187. I kept him with me last night because I was worried and he went to his basket with his bg testing in it and started to chew on it at 1:00 am and so I checked him and he was at 35. He has been eating the same as always. No change to his diet. I gave him gravy fancy feast quite a lot of it as he still had 7 hours left with prozinc cycle. Also gave him 2 greenie treats and now when insulin is worn off he is 132. I have to go to work and I have no idea what to do. Give him a small bit of insulin? I don’t want to mess him up and ha d him go high again but I am afraid that is just too low. I watched him all day yesterday and he never left the 100’s at 3.5 units. He won’t be alone today my parents are with him. His poor little ears add tired. Any advice? Does this sound like remission? As I said he is at 132 now and I will check again in an hour before I go to work to see what it is.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sometimes after a low hypo they can be extra sensitive to insulin for a while.

If it were my cat I would probably lower to 2.5 next shootable number. Hold it for a few cycles until he settles then decide if you want to raise. If you need to raise do 2.75

@Rachel . @Kris & Teasel . @Sharon14

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Unless BG increases considerably from that 132 this AM, I'd skip the dose today. Those readings in the 30's on the AT2 meter are way too low and dangerous and indicate the dose is far too high. I agree with Janet that you need to reduce and 2.5u is probably a good place to start but I would only dose that much if you or your parents are able to monitor with testing as needed. His BG may appear a bit elevated still from the higher carbs you gave to bring BG up last night and that will wear off so caution is definitely needed right now.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Ickes

Ickes Member

Thank you so much for answering me so quickly. I will see where he is and test him in a few minutes. He is still waiting to eat after all the food he had last night. Lol. He has a great appetite which is wonderful but holding off food can make him angry. Will see where he is and won’t give insulin until in the 200’s then do 2.5 and we will watch him. Thank you again.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Because of the sensitivity that excessively low BG can cause to the insulin, I wouldn't dose Noah today unless he is at least 275 or even 300. He may be bouncing and that can break at any time so err on the side of caution today.

6. Ickes

Ickes Member

He was 245 but I didn’t give him insulin before I left because he ate an hour before. Will see where he is before he eats again. He eats every four hours or he gets sick. I portion out his food throughout the day. He hasn’t went low for a long long time but lately it’s scary. Will see where he is and then do 2.5 if he gets near 300 because I think he is bouncing. Thank you so much for the advice. It helps me know I am in the right track. That was my thinking but I’ve never had to deal with lows. It was this forum that taught me to use high carb wet food to bring up his sugar and it works way quicker than dry and I don’t know why but I didn’t think of that. This had been a huge help to me.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

While you can shoot later if it's convenient that will put your next shot later too which I can only imagine is going to mess with your schedule as far as work is concerned come tomorrow. You can shoot up to an hour early with ProZinc however with those low numbers you've been getting lately, I don't think I'd risk it as it can sometimes act like a dose increase. That might not be an issue at a reduced dose but it appears Noah may be on a mission right now (hoping he is!) so you might want to consider just holding off until tonight's shot no matter what to avoid scheduling issues as well as low BG.

8. Ickes

Ickes Member

That is probably what I will do unless he goes too high. I think he needs to settle down anyway and maybe holding off today is best. I can leave work if I have to and only work longer hours Tuesday and Thursday but messing up the schedule is torture because Noah and my other 2 boys know the schedule and don’t do well with messing up feeding times. I need to give him insulin with food so that can make it challenging with work and sleeping. If my parents didn’t stay at my house while I am gone I don’t know what I would do. They have an apartment on our lower level. It takes all of us including my husband to work together to take care of our baby.