911-Is it time to let go?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maggie&curly, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

I thought Curly was having a hypo right now- my parents have been helping me pack and my mom picked up the food and I thought she put fresh down but she didn't so he didn't have food since last evening. I woke up to his meowing and he was lying there and could not even get up. I panicked because I couldn't find where my parents had put all his blood sugar stuff, as we were having his other owner take him because I am moving out of state. I finally found his glucose and gave him that and he picked his head up and tried to get up and was sniffing at milk and food but still not interested. Then I found his glucometer and took his sugar and it read HI twice. He still doesn't seem interested in food alhtough is acting a little more responsive. He still cant get his hind body up off the floor though. I gave him his lantus but am not sure he is really doing very well, he is so thin and has not put any weight back on and has been pretty lethargic lately. I have no money to take him to the vet, which I know people will tell me to do, so its basically that I need to decide whether its time to let him go.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Is it time to let go?

PLEASE add 911 to your subject line.

How were you planning to "let him go" you'd have to take him to the vet anyway. Why not take him and see if this can be fixed? It sounds like your kitty is suffering please take him to the Vet. I'm sorry this is happening .
    jeanne

3. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

thanks- yeah i called the animal hospital and they said they can do emerg. care or free euthanasia. I don't have any money at all and I'm afraid that he is just suffering at this point. He just tried to get up but his lower legs wouldn't support him. I'm laying on the floor with him waiting for my dad to come.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

I'm no expert but could it be Curly needs a dosage change? It sounds like neuropathy abn that CAN BE FIXED with regulation. Please consider

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

agree. this is VERY TREATABLE. increase in insulin, proper lo carb canned food, and maybe some methyl b12. this is not a death sentence. someone can tell you were to order methyl b12. it is a pill and once blood levels come down, the neuropathy should get better

6. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Oh please dear girl.... You can see him better again... He needs to be cared for with an eye to regular feeding, testing and insulin injections....

Please call his "Other Owner" and get them involved... this boy needs just a tad more time and a bit more care in getting his food in him.... along with timely injections. (I did this once... put Charlies food in the bedroom and watched him walking towards it...) I just assumed he'd eaten in and gave him his shot prior to going to a meeting..... He didn't look right when I got home.... I found he'd not eaten (the grandkids were busy playing with everything and he doesn't like children...) I tested him.. he was 42... now that's too low with 5 more hours till the insulin would peak out.... I fed him and fed him... all the forbidden stuff... and ice cream... he lived five more years and died at the age of 18, last year.... Playing and running on the last day of his life.... well not like a kitten, but a dang healthy cat.... A stroke took him.

Please treat this boy... you or his other owner can have a wonderful loving cat... I pray that he responds to treatment at ER.... please let us know... please... busy praying for him now.

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Lethargy, inappetance and the inability to stand does not sound like neuropathy. It sounds like a sick cat in need of veterinary care.

8. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

could also Be DKA but..............

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Are his hind legs ice cold? Just wondering if he has thrown a clot.

10. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

My parents are coming to take us to the vet hospital, but my mom said yesterday when i was out running errands he never moved the whole time even when she was vaccuming next to him. I just checked the litter box and it is drier than it should be. I'll see what the vet says but he has had a history of responding to insulins for a while and then stops responding. I dont know what is going on with him right now but will see what the vet says. thanks for all your support.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

I am praying that Curley will be ok. So sorry this is happening.
    jeanne

12. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I am with Deanie, we have absolutely no idea what is wrong with this cat but it sounds like it is very serious and requires treatment asap. If treatment is not affordable, then euthanasia is possibly the most humane option.

13. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Oh, I am so sorry that he is so sick. My first thought is that it may be DKA, but no matter what it is, it is definitely an emergency and I hope the vet hospital will be able to help.

If they cannot, then he will be gently helped to the Bridge with you by his side, knowing how very much you loved him.

Our thoughts go with you.

14. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Saying a prayer that he can be helped and the vet is compassonate..... Hoping all can be treated and he returns to health.... understanding that it may be a return to running by the bridge...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.