911 ? - Post ketoacidosis ER actions - GL Raising

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Photorecon, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Morning all,

If you’ve been monitoring my last posts you probably know that my cat went from ketoacidosis crisis to what seemed to be a recovery after 3 days of intensive monitoring and care.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...osis-crisis-care-success.157079/#post-1667822

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/never-give-up.157045/#post-1668132

I'm now very concern about GL level I got this morning and possible trace of Ketone (hard to know)

After what seems to be a full recovery (had gained weight, was eating and drinking, negative ketone...) was on the rise yesterday and higher this morning (27mmo/l (486.00)

He was eating by himself yesterday and today as well.

I could not do full scale monitoring and force feeding because of obligations and

1 : Ketone was gone for almost 48h (following a redline state)

2 : He was eating and drink + subcutaneous 80cc injection every 8h

3 : He had gained probably between 1.5 to 2.0 pounds.

Anyhow, I tough everything was fine.

Midday, 13.00h after 1.5 unit freshly increased (from 1.0 morning and night (12h interval)
    Dose (after ketoacidosis diagnostic), GL was 12.4mmo/l (223.20) (good news).
    Next check at 19.00h (Usual GL check time) level had raised at 20.7 (372.60)
    I posed on Keep the faith and got information that a bounce is typical when

Insulin is adjusted.

Spall kitty was doing fine, I kept water injection as instructed by Vet
    80 cc 8h interval and no more force feeding.

This morning, at 06.00h he jumped on the bed and was asking for food.

07.00h went on with water injection + Lantus 1.5 shot + GL monitoring.

Results : 27.4 (493.20) ..... :(

Immediately after, getting the number, I started bladder stimulation / squeezing
    I had no Idea of the way to do that, all I know is where the bladder was.
    Setup was not in place anymore but I was able to get some sample using sterile
    Tissue. With my little drop of urine I performed Ketone test. Results seems to
    be positive but it’s hard to know because of the specimen was very small but I’m
    pretty sure we are in the 5 mg/dl (trace) or somewhere around that.

Should I be concern ? I’m at the office right now so full scale monitoring is not possible, Small Kitty seemed to be very well but I’m afraid that a full ER action plan would be hard. Hope it’s not a re occurrence. I’ve rarely seen numbers like that, 27.7 is heavy for Small Kitty. At 1.0 Lantus twice daily he was in the 20s (17-22 max).

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed information that is on the spreadsheet
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It will really help when you can put your numbers into the spreadsheet (I know you're working on it) because it will help us see the patterns we look for in the colors

I'd continue getting ketone tests when you can and continue with the sub-Q fluids

As long as he's eating OK and you can keep those ketones at negative or trace, I think you'll be able to handle this at home.

I'd like to invite you over to the Lantus Forum to start posting as soon as you get your spreadsheet set up. You'll get the most experienced people watching out for you there and they all use Lantus or Levemir

3. Photorecon

Spreadsheet in signature, took lots of research but got it complete. Hope it's not overcrowded with information in the comments column.

Ketone is now gone and GL remain high (493.20) but Small Kitty is not eating that much nor drinking + lost some weight.

Very concern about the food. Should I resume force feeding ? Dont want Small Kitty to become addicted to this way to eat.
    He's eating, but a little. Never like the one can a day recommended a member.

All details are in my spread sheet, hope it can be accessed, in my signature.

4. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

I just tried to view your SS but it is private. Go to "file" and then "publish to the web" make sure the "automatically publish when changes are made" box is clicked, and then click to publish. That way all users on here can see it without requesting permission through google. :)

5. Photorecon

Should be fine now set with "automatically publish when changes are made" on.

Hope it's working. Small kitty has reduce food intake and water + some weight lost.
    Intensive care was ''fun'', brought lot's of reward and self confidence but I was expecting
    recovery to last a for a little while.

Any comments on numbers welcomed (believe it's a disaster, should have come here a while ago)

Your all marvelous

Sébastien

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sebastien!

I saw in your other post that you were asking about the freeze dried Pure Bites chicken....yes, any freeze dried treats are low carb...as long as they only contain meat as the only ingredient, it's nothing but dried protein

Here are some other Low Carb Treats

Good job on the spreadsheet, but I think you could go ahead and remove a lot of that information on 4/30....just put the numbers in and over in the "remarks" put something like "diagnosed with ketones....treated and released home with fluids".....maybe copy the rest into a new document and put the link to that document into the "remarks" section for people to look at if they need to

It's REALLY important, especially if you can't get routine tests mid-cycle during the AM cycle that you always get at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle. If you can't get mid-cycle tests due to work, you might want to read "Is Tight Regulation possible with a full time job?" and see if there's anything there that would work for you or just make sure you get extra tests in on your days off.

I think you'd probably better plan on going up to 1.75U on his next shot. Do you have syringes with half unit markings?

Please go ahead and start posting in the Lantus Forum....Once you start posting there, people will start to watch for you. It will also help for you to read other people's posts there to help you learn more about how to best take care of Small Kitty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.