911 *** Sugar higher than I have ever seen

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mfrancis69, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Such hard news. What stage of CRF is Sassy in?

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what stage, but what she was told was "poor to grave prognosis."

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I had a CRF with that prognosis and he lived another 2 1/2 years with CRF treatments and fluids. But it was so hard. My cat wasn't a sugar cat. I hope Melissa will be able to get some rest tonight.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's fantastic news, Rhonda! Where there's life ...

I was a bit hesitant to ask this last night, but is Melissa in touch with the Support Group from Tanya's Site? If anyone can help with renal issues, they can.

Here's a link to Tanya's Site (too much info to take in during a crisis) and here's the link to the Support Group. If she does post there ask her to flag the request as URGENT. If she has any labs for Sassy, they'll be able to look at them for her, too.

Thank you so much, Rhonda, for being there for Melissa and for keeping us in the loop.

:bighug:

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thank you for keeping us updated. Feel free to continue updating on this thread.

Melissa can start a new thread when she's up to it or if she thinks there's some way we can help. When you talk to her please let her know we're here and thinking about her and Sassy. Many of us have or have had renal kitties. We might be able to help.
    Thanks again, Rhonda!

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Is Melissa going to try syringe feeding her? I would try just a little bit at a time. She probably is dehydrated.
    Did the vet test her for ketones?

7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Dyana, that I don't know. Without a good prognosis, I think she is trying to make Sassy as comfortable as she can. She is going to try baby food tonight, to see if she will eat something.

She did try syringe feed, but I don't think she got it far enough in her mouth. The vet gave her IV fluids last night.

8. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I realize that Melissa's decision may not set well with some her, but she has to make the decision that is right for her and Sassy. Please send all the prayers and wishes that you can for both of them.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Prayers winging their way from the Shire ...

(((Melissa and Sassy)))

10. Critter Mom

I can't help myself ... if she has any Pepcid AC it might make Sassy a little more comfortable.

11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Aine, I will pass on that information.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Lots of prayers and hugs for Melissa and Sassy.

13. Critter Mom

14. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Just reading through the latest updates. I'm so sorry for Melissa and Sassy that the news wasn't better. Prayers, vines and hugs going to both of them.

15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Are there any options other than pepcid?

16. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I suggested milk or plain yogurt, to help soak up some of the stomach acid.

17. Critter Mom

Any little bit of food might give the stomach acid something to work on. And fluids (is Sassy peeing, do you know?).

Zantac 75 (ranitidine) is another acid reducer recommended by Tanya's Site. The site's down at the moment (hosting provider problems).

Dosage is 0.25-1.00mg per pound every 8-12 hours. (Typical maintenance dose for a 10lb cat on the higher dose is 1/8 of a 75g tablet twice a day.)

According to Helen's book, Zantac may be less inclined to trigger vomiting and may help with gut motility/constipation.

18. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Started a new thread here, with new questions.

19. Critter Mom

Cool. Will check it out post haste.

20. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could start a new thread titled "Updates on Sassy (previous 911)" or something to that effect, as this one is pages long now ...

Rhonda, please let Melissa know I've been thinking of her and praying for Sassy all day, and that I'm so sorry that she and her kitty are going through such a hard situation. And you, Rhonda, are such a dear for your kindness in reaching out to her, and providing extra-special support to her during such a difficult time.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  21. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Thanks Robin. I am trying to do everything I can. I did start a new thread here.

22. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Just saw that, right after I'd posted. You're doing a marvelous job, Rhonda! I just wish I had something to offer in the way of advice, but I have zero experience with renal failure. Will just keep on hoping & thinking good thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.