Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would likely give a reduced Levemir dose but that depends upon the PMPS

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Let's see how the rest of the cycle goes before making any decisions. I'd also like to hear suggestions from @Wendy&Neko . She's especially good with advice for acros. I highly respect her understanding of insulin and how to dose acro-kitties.

Good. Let's see how the rest of the cycle plays out...

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Stayed tuned for that advise later today...still have to see how the rest of the day plays out.

4. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

Good news but keep on top of things you know how much they bounce around.

Cherieeastman likes this.
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would test again in 1 hour.
    Some of the acromoms will help you with his evening shot, a little later. He may go really high because of the quick drop and blue number.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello, sorry for the late entry. Today was a sleep in day. I'm glad Gato's numbers are slowing down.

For tonight's dose, what I suggest is getting a +11 test and posting here for help. That'll give us a better idea of where Gato will be at your regular PMPS time and give us time to think about what is best.

I agree with Dyana on testing again in an hour. My girl liked to be a little different. R in her took a while to get going (more like 3-4 hours after shot) and stayed in longer. She also never needed any more than 0.5 units of R. And she was fairly carb sensitive for an acro, most of the time I could give her 16-17% carb foods (low range of high carb) and that would be enough to bring her up. ECID and each acrocat is even more different. Take a look at the foods in the catinfo list, and find some in the upper teens and 20's percent carbs to have at home. I started out with the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, which has lots of gravy, but she was allergic to wheat. Merck Cowboy Cookout worked for a while, but it was too high phosphorus, so I ended up with some out of the Weruva line (Grandma's Chicken Soup for really high carb) and their Cats in the Kitchen pouches for lower high carb.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

8. Cherieeastman

Cherieeastman Member

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Have you gotten a +7 test?

10. Cherieeastman

Cherieeastman Member

Yes just walked in the door.
    +7

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That is good but you still need to test maybe every hour at this point as Levemir has a later nadir and even thought you didn't shot any Lev today, the depot could be talking later in this cycle .

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Let's see what his +8 is. Depending upon that number, hopefully, you can take a break from testing until +11.
    Give your kitty some extra skritches for being such a good patient.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Cheri, you are doing great!! I can only imagine how your heart sank when you realized the mistake. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Cherie - you were prepared, and you are doing a good followup. You're also getting good help here. It would be nice to see your kitty's spreadsheet in your signature.

Leoberry is an Acrocat. I got him SRT treatment in Sept. If you are interested all the info is in Leo's current thread. The SRT worked. If you look at Leo's second SS tab, you can see the decreasing insulin doses. Basically from 18 units that were hardly effective to 6-to-8 units now.

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Cherie. Is it time for a +11 yet?

16. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

@Cherieeastman and others - I want to clarify comments from earlier in this thread. Any diabetic cat can have a hypoglycemic crisis.

Just because a cat has acromegaly does not mean they can not have a hypo.

Yes, we have seen times where an acro cat had a similar experience to Gato, when the person was using 2 different insulins and accidentally gave an overdose of the wrong insulin and the cat was ok. But that does not mean that one should ever assume that it might not be a crisis if it happened to another cat. An acro cat might need even more high carbs than usual and anyone with an acro cat should always have several cans of high carb gravy cat food and sugar syrup (like corn syrup, honey, maple syrup) on hand to bring up your cat's blood sugar.

An overdose is an overdose, regardless of whether the cat's diabetes was caused by acromegaly.

Cherie, I hope you will come here to FDMB to learn about how your insulin works so you can help Gato as much as possible. Facebook groups are great for social support but not the best place for in depth and accurate information. You can help Gato best by learning how to work with your insulin and how it works in your cat's body. Each of the insulin support group has "stickies" - yellow boxed posts at the top of the group - that give solid basic information about how each insulin works. Start there and then ask questions. The Lantus/Levemir Insulin Support Group stickies can be found here.

17. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

@julie & punkin (ga)
    If you are referring to this I would like to clarify what I said

Firstly I said 'may' I did not say it wouldn't happen. I was trying to calm Cherie down as at that time she was panicking. I was the one who actually suggested she come and post here rather than in the FB Acro group. It has come to light over the last 24 hours from both your comment and the comments that were directed towards me in the FB group as it was clear I was asking her to post on the FDMB board that there is some friction between the board and this group none of which I am aware of or wish to become involved in. My priority is the my cat and the cats that are suffering from diabetes. I do not and will not get involved in any dramas between the two.

FYI this is the comment I left on the acro board after comments were directed at me regarding directing Cherie here

'Actually Gato's numbers continued to slide for another 2 hours. He's just started to come up at +7. Whilst some may disagree with the advice given on the FDMB and vice versa CheriƩ needed support more than anything else. There was no one here at the time to do that. She's had support from the FDMB which has meant she has dealt with the situation in a calm and least stressful way as she could. She got reassurance and didn't go down any unnecessary or costly avenues. Sometimes we just need to know there's someone out there to hold our hand.'

I hope this clears up the matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2017
    Reason for edit: For privacy reasons, the link to Cherie's Facebook page has been removed.
    Marlena likes this.
  18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Rebecca - I think we are all here glad to help when someone has a kitty in need, no matter where they typically post. Anyone from the FB group is welcome to post here if they need more immediate help than they can get there. Yes there may be some different thoughts on dosing between there and here, but you can probably say that about any two boards/forums that cater to people with diabetic cats and knowledge built on their shared experiences.

I'm am super happy things seemed to have worked out for Cherie and Gato. I hope he's doing well today since we didn't get an update. Sometimes the impact of an R dose can be also seen in the following cycle.

19. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Just seeing this post, glad the R didn't hit too quick. As others have mentioned keep a close eye for the next cycle or two. My kitty is acro&IAA, I frequently see more action from the R on the next cycle then immediate results in the few hours after dosing R.

Another idea that was given to me was to wrap a rubber band around the R vial as another way to easily tell the difference between the 2.

20. Steph&BigKitty

Steph&BigKitty Member

Glad your kitty made it through safely!

Also glad I read this entire thread..I had no idea Temptations shot up BGs so bad! I was giving him a couple here and there! Geeeze!

21. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

@Rebecca Thomas I wasn't referring to any particular statement or person - I certainly wasn't trying to call out you or anyone else. I'd read through the entire post and had picked up on the attitude that an acro cat was safer with an overdose than another diabetic cat might be. My only interest in posting was to make sure that it was clear to future readers that a cat with acromegaly absolutely can have a hypo and to try to point Cherie to the stickies that provide solid information. She's new to this and having materials to read is one of the best ways to learn.

There are many facebook groups for diabetic cats. Just doing a quick search I see at least 8. I don't know which one was involved and I wasn't criticizing it. I was just speaking to my general experience with looking at the advice given to people on facebook cat health groups. The comments collapse and people don't even look (and how can you when there can easily be 60 or more comments?) at all of them before commenting. Essential comments from experienced people are combined with folks who have limited experience and the new person trying to learn has no idea which people know what they are talking about and which don't. It can be very chaotic and I have personally seen advice that was less than sound.

My only interest is helping people learn how to take care of their diabetic cats. Like you, I couldn't be less interested in old dramas or conflicts. Life is too short for any of that.

The bottom line is that I'm glad you helped Cherie get help for Gato and that all is ok now.

Kris & Teasel and Marlena like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.