911 911

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Julie McNeal, May 5, 2019.

1. Julie McNeal

Julie McNeal New Member

My 8yr old Missy diagnosed 6 wks ago. Shes on 1 unit twice daily of Prozinc. Did my 1st curve today. Test 5a.m. 257, test 7a.m. 161, test 8a.m 270 fed & gave 1/2 unit, test 10a.m. 409, test 12p.m. 396, test 3p.m. 177, test 6p.m. fed gave 1 unit Slept 2_3 hrs. Sleeps heavy after given insulin. Some day more than other. By 9p.m very lethargic & hard to wake. Took bg test & it was 412. Shes more alert now but refusing to eat or drink.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

When a diabetic cat is lethargic and not eating, the most likely cause is that they are developing ketones.

Do you have anything that she really loves to eat? Even if it's high carb - like a treat that she gets excited about? If so, give her a couple of pieces and see what she does. If she doesn't get excited about the treat, then you need to take her to an emergency vet asap for a ketone blood test. It's just like how we test BG - they have a meter and can check quickly, or can do a blood draw.

3. Julie McNeal

Julie McNeal New Member

She ate 2 or 3.

4. Djamila

I'm going to have to log off soon, so in case we miss each other....

I don't want to scare you, but in case no one is around later, I want to make sure you have the info you might need at the vet: Ketones quickly develop into DKA which can lead to a long and expensive hospitalization, or even worse. The sooner they are caught and treated, the better the chances of recovery. When you get to the vet, insist on a ketone test. Most vets will know that straight away, but in case your vet doesn't, I want to make sure you know to insist. If ketones are present, the treatment will likely require Missy to stay overnight for fluids, fast acting insulin, and so that they can find the triggering cause - ketones usually develop with not enough insulin, not enough calories (that's why it's so concerning when a cat won't eat), and an infection or inflammation. It can be as simple as an inflammed tooth, or a bug bite, or something like a UTI. Again, the sooner they catch it and start treatment, the better chance that she can avoid a long hospitalization, so don't let them send you home without doing the test to be sure she's ketone free.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Djamila

Oops. Looks like we cross posted. That doesn't sound like she was enthusiastic about it. Was she offered more? If she's really not eating, please take her to the vet. Ketones are very serious and develop quickly.

6. Djamila

One last thing. You can also post out in the Main forum here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

It works just like this one - you click on the small blue "post new thread" button in the upper right hand corner and you can post there. There are a lot more people that monitor that forum, so if you need anything later or have other questions, you'll get more eyes on it.

I'm going to have to log off. I'll send good vibes to you and Missy tonight. Take care :bighug: