Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

Cocoa's BG was 93 this am, I didn't trust it so I did it again and it was 129...no shot obviously but why the big difference? I tested the meter on myself and it read 155....what is going on?

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Meters have a 20% allowable variance. 93 times 1.20 is 111, so that 129 is a little off. What brand of meter are you using?

3. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

All meters have an acceptable variance of +\- 20%, so the 93 and 129 are basically the same number. It can also depend on your meter, which one are you using?

4. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

I'm using the Relion Comfort....her other BG's have been in the 300's...which is why I'm freaking....

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I don't know what insulin you're using, but if your shot time is flexable, you could wait and test again, and see if the next number is shootable.

6. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

What insulin are you using?

7. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

I use ProZinc. So I shouldn't be worried she's hypoglycemic at this time? Thanks so much for the answers...I try to read everything on this site, but in a moment of panic it all flies out the window!! I'm trying to re-read now and check back for posts...why doesn't everything you read STAY in your head when you need it??? It would be sooo much easier!! Thank you for responding so fast!!! You have helped this momma TREMENDOUSLY!!!! You too Knolet!!!
    ~Patti and Cocoa

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Pattie. I don't know ProZinc, but you could post in that insulin specific forum for advise.

We usually don't recommend shooting below 150 or 200, unless you have lots of data (numbers to refer back to).
    But, she may go up above that no shoot number in a half hour or so, and then maybe you can shoot your insulin. If you did, you would have to be around to monitor and to do spot checks through out the day.
    I would check with the people who know ProZinc insulin, and see what they have to say.

9. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

Cocoa is now throwing up!!!!

10. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about ProZinc, but if possible get another test on Cocoa to see if the number is rising or falling. also, if you are around today and can get in a mid-cycle test, or other tests here or there it would give you the data to know whether or not you can safely shoot at a lower number. It might also help to post on the ProZinc board, I don't know how active it is.

11. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

I just found the proZinc and I have to wait for the admin to ok my request....meanwhile, back at the ranch, Cocoa is in hiding, I will test again in 30 minutes...THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!!!!

12. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I hope Cocoa is feeling better after being sick. You will probably want to skip this shot irrespective of where her BG is heading if there's a risk she won't eat or will not hold the food down.

No worries about hypo at 93 the 'normal' cat range is 50-120 but it was a good idea not to shoot that, at least at this early stage of your sugar dance. Well done :smile: and congrats to Cocoa on getting into the normal range for the first time :D

I think ProZinc dosing may be based on preshot (? I haven't used it either) but I think you probably still want to see what 1.5 units is doing for Cocoa throughout the cycle by getting some additional tests. Would be a good idea to ask a ProZinc person about that when you get hold of someone.

13. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

Thank you! She won't eat right now, but neither would I after being sick!! I have 15 minutes until BG time again....sigh....

14. popposgrl

popposgrl Member

Re: 93 BG...now @8am 90

okay...so now what??? it was 90...

15. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I would skip the insulin shot this morning. 90 is way too low for any insulin plus your cat has just thrown up. Definitely test before giving the evening insulin shot and only if the bg is over 200, then give insulin though you may want to check in here before doing that just to be on the safe side.

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Agree! So glad you are home testing, Patti. It may be that the insulin and food is starting to work, but it is also probably that she isn't eating. That can also lower glucose numbers.

I would concentrate on getting her to eat, in small amounts, today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.