95 at +4 today, wondering what to do at shot time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ian & Oz, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi All,

Wondering what to do.
    I just tested Oz at 1:00 pm & his level was 95, this is the lowest he's been so far.
    I immediately put the food bowl in front of him & he ate well.
    I'm going to test him again at 2:00.
    Based on the 95 I don't know whether to lower the dose at 9:00 pm (shot time) or give no dose.
    If I lower the dose is it 10 to 25% lower than normal?

Thank You
    Ian

2. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

At 2:00 (+5) his level was 106.
    I'm guessing that it's elevated a little because of the food, don't know how low it would have gone
    without the food, I didn't feel comfortable holding back the food to find out.

Ian

3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

I know it's scary when you first start seeing those lower numbers, but 95 is a great number. Remember - anything above 50 is good. It's only when a cat falls below 50 that we need to take action (e.g., with high-carb food and/or Karo syrup).

The 95 and 106 are basically the same once you factor in the possible 20% meter variance the FDA allows. Did you feed regular, low-carb food at +5? You might want to grab a test at +6 if you can. That will help tell us if Oz is "surfing" (staying relatively flat), continuing to fall, or rising.

What time do you give the PM shot (9:00 p.m. CST)? I doubt that I will be online this evening, but there should be others around to help you. I would wait on determining a dose until you see how the rest of this cycle plays out and what his number is at PMPS. You should be able to safely give the same dose (1.75u), but that's based on several assumptions - that he doesn't drop below 50 today, that the pre-shot number is at a "safe" level, and that you'll be home to test tonight.

Have you thought any more about joining one of the insulin-support groups I mentioned? As I said, you can certainly stay here on Health if this is where you're most comfortable, but you'll have many more experienced Lantus users watching out for you if you join a Lantus group.

4. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi Shelly,
    I just tested again at 3:00 pm (+6) & it was 132.
    He's still been eating a little off & on between tests,still feeding him his regular low carb food only, didn't give high carb at +5.
    Each day his pre shot number is getting lower & his low peak is too, if I give the same dose will that not take him even lower possibly too low for tomorrow & maybe tonight?
    He gets his shot at 9:00 am & pm central time.
    I want to join one of the groups but don't know which one.
    I may be able to be at home enough for the tight regulation but not sure.
    Is there a way to maybe ask within the groups?
    You said to post there you put in the title the days test levels & date, is that right?

Ian

5. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Ahhhh....this is a great question. When I first started, I thought, "Okay, so .25 units dropped Jersey's blood sugar by 200 points - from 300 to 100. So if we start out at 100, does that mean it will take her all the way down to zero?" Lantus actually doesn't work that way. When you shoot lower numbers, the numbers tend to flatten out rather than drop dramatically. Most experienced users will shoot anything over 50. You're not to that point, yet, but you can get there. (It's scary the first few times, but there are people who will stick with you every step of the way. You aren't doing this alone.)

If remission is your goal, then you're going to want to aim for the numbers staying between 50 and 120 (on a human meter). Those are considered "normal" numbers for cats.

If you're concerned about the testing aspect, you're definitely testing enough right now for TR - you're getting the AMPS, PMPS, and at least 1 test in each cycle.

What I might recommend is to go ahead and start a post in TR. For the title of your post, try something like this: "10/10 Oz AMPS-281, +5-95, New Member" Also click on the "?" icon in your first post in your thread. (That question mark is a good way to let people know that you have questions and will draw more eyes to your thread. When you get your questions answered, you can always go back and edit your first post and remove the question mark icon.)

In your post, introduce yourself and Oz and let people know that you aren't sure if TR is right for you. Once people respond and you see what they have to say, you can decide if it's a good fit for you. If you want to post in Relaxed Lantus, you could also do the same thing there. Just because you post in one of the forums doesn't mean you have to stay there. You have to join whichever group feels "right" for you. As I said in a previous post to you, I'm simply more familiar with TR and, according to scientific research, that protocol has the best chances of getting a cat into remission. Some people aren't aiming for remission, though. Some people are simply aiming for regulation.

If you do decide to post in one of the insulin groups, I'll try to follow you over and help you get "set up" there. :D

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Once you're shooting Lantus under 150 mg/dL, you really need to be in the Tight Regulation
    forum. If you can't do that level of testing, post in Relaxed Lantus.

If, however, you're still using 200 mgYdL on a human meter as your no shot limit, you may begin dropping the limit about 10 mg/dL per week and ease into it. You'll feel more confident as you get data showing it can be safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.