A bit lethargic after starting insulin injections

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marciegee, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Marcie and Moby is my kitty who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We're on his fifth day of injections, and while this is all a lot to take in, my husband and I are committed to doing all we can for our beloved kitty.

Moby's body has responded well. His drinking has decreased dramatically and his appetite is increased to what it was before. (He was always a ravenous guy.) The litterbox looks a lot better, too. However, I have noticed that he seems to be more lethargic after his injections. It's mostly little things like instead of jumping on top of a favorite chair, he lays down underneath it. Today, my husband found him under the bed for a long part of the day, and while that's not unheard of for him, it's a little bit odd and out of place.

Otherwise, he is normal, happy, purring, just tired. I have a call into his vet right now for her advice, but was gently encouraged to post here, too.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! This process has been a lot to absorb (knowledge, learning, costs) and this community has already helped me loads, so thanks. :)

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Have you tested for ketones?

3. LynRich

LynRich Member

Hello Marcie ,I put this post on the welcome thread, but I'll repeat it here. I'm in the UK & my cat Squiggles was diagnosed 7 weeks ago, & like yours she's drinking less & passing

urine , but she's also more lethargic as well . Her blood glucose levels are better than they were, but not down to normal levels yet.

I've talked to my vet, & in the absence of other symptoms she reluctant to run a whole battery of expensive tests, until Squiggles glucose levels have stabilised. Apparently getting adjusted to insulin can affect cats.

I'm only a Newbie, but have you rung your vet about his lethargy ? Could he be on too high a dose of insulin ? You will feel overwhelmed, but you will come to terms with it all eventually.

There are lots of people on here who are a lot more knowledgeable than me & I'm sure they be along any minute to give you lots of advice & support xx

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It would be wise to test his blood glucose levels at home, so you can tell if he is too high or too low (both can cause lethargy.). Can we help you learn how?

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

hello.
    back when mine was on insulin, we would test/feed/shoot , she would eat most of her serving, and then she would go into the deepest sleep.....
    nothing like a typical cat nap. She'd even dream.... with her twitchy little feet moving.

I took it as she was feeling good. Remember, insulin is a hormone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.