A bit OT: sanity check :)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna Josie, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

The problem with having a cat with an atypical response to insulin is that it's hard to know what's real and what maybe you only dreamt . . .

I have *zero* memory of giving an injection this morning. I definitely tested (because the meter's memory tells me so!), and I certainly wrote down that I injected, but I don't remember drawing or giving the shot. At all. Maybe I dreamt it? And unfortunately, I took out the trash this am, so I can't even look to see if there's a syringe cap somewhere near the top, lol.

Does this happen to other people? And for those of you familiar with the way Josie processes insulin, do you think there's a way to tell either if I inadvertently "skipped" the shot this am or if she's just being her goofy, unpredictable self?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...well yeah I have wondered before if I remembered to give medicine (remind me to tell you one day about the time I tested, drew up the insulin...then left home without giving it...TWICE). I think it's natural when we're so used to doing things to just not really be sure. It's like when you're driving to or from work and then you realized you completely have no memory of part of the drive! I hope that happens to everyone so you don't all think I'm nuts. ;)

It's hard to tell with Josie really. My guess is she's being her usual self and you did give insulin, but no way to be sure. I really wouldn't even worry about it Jenna. You'll just drive yourself nuts! Just accept that it was a weird day and move on tomorrow. :)

Djamila and Jenna Josie like this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had lots of concussions, a stroke, mini strokes etc. I don't know how I did it but I did. That feeling of zero memory is awful. I was a goalie in hockey and once got a knee in the temple. Next thing I remember was being at home so I checked everything. Car was parked, equipment put away, dinner done. Everyone goes to the fridge and wonders why they're there. Doing it 20 times a day is something else.
    A little side note. Emergency departments don't like neurological problems, they like things they can see like broken bones and cuts. If you or your children think there has been a concussion grab someone by the collar and don't let go. I had a brain aneurysm diagnosed as a sinus infection and was sent home in my car.

Once you use a syringe bend the needle over and recap it, that was my trick.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Josie's data looks pretty normal today, so let's just assume she got her shot ;). Try not to worry about it. We all have those moments o_O:)

5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I would make the typographical shrug emoji if I knew how. I just thought her +11 wouldn’t be lower (my new tactic with her is to get a +11 if I have to go out and can’t stall...that way I can know if she’s on her way up at shot time) ... and then her PS was lower than her +11! :D So I’ve decided the +11 test was an off one/off strip.

I often sleep-brew coffee in the morning, but the worst thing that can happen is that I, you know, forget to add the coffee. Sleep-dosing has bigger consequences! Will certainly try to be sure I’m awake for it from now on! :facepalm:

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

HA! I've done that! The best part was I couldn't figure out why the coffee looked so weak at first...

Jenna Josie and Sharon14 like this.
  7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You are not alone;) I went through a time like that, where I couldn’t remember if I’d given the shot. I put a coffee mug in the area where I drew the shot and after the evening shot I’d put 2 syringes, needles up, in the cup. In the AM I take one of them to shoot, then recap and replace it in the cup, needle side down. Then in the evening after second shot I’d dispose of both syringes and replace with 2 new for the next day. There were many days I couldn’t remember if I’d shot in the AM, but if the upside down syringe was in the cup, I knew.

8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member