A concern about shot given and no food- all ok

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat is acting off today. I am at work and my friend went to my house to give him the pm shot and he didn't eat. I am going home to get a BG. Can they go hypo without food?? He wont eat for her. not even treats

Update:
    Thanks Cindy!
    I just ran home he was 377- 2 hrs after shot. He is just off. He usually never passes up a meal. I got home and my friend had food bowls all around him. I feel much better. I haven't been home in a few days except to sleep and shower. Maybe he is just depressed or something :?: He ate for me, had chicken treats and I took the dry food right away.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: A concern about shot given and no food

yes, it's always a possibility that they can hypo without food in thier tummy but insulin in their system but to be honest, i doubt you have anything to worry about. i took a quick look at your spreadsheet and his numbers aren't anywhere near dangerous type numbers. of course, they always like to surprise us so testing is by no means a bad thing to do. i'd be willing to bet though that as soon as friend leaves or left, kitty eats or ate :)

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

His tummy was off earlier in the week, right? I wonder if maybe it was connected to that, maybe a digestive thing (not to mention the beating your carpets have been taking lately, if I remember right!!!).

If you have switched his food fairly recently, it might be that you will need to experiment with different LC canned options, might be that what he's on isn't agreeing with him. If you haven't changed foods lately, I would probably consider heading to the vet unless everything clears up soon.

It is possible for them to hypo w/o food if the dose is high enough, and also diabetic cats not eating well are more prone to ketones, so you're right, eating is important in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.