A little overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DavesMom, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Hey everyone!

My Dave (we think he’s around 14-15...took him in as a stray about 9 years ago) was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. We have a Home vet who came to visit on Friday, tested his levels and said it was very obviously diabetes. She put him on 3 units of Vetsulin and has suggested changing his diet to a prescription dry food. She said she would like to come for visits once a week for the first month to test his glucose levels.

I started to do my research, and realized a lot of people just do home testing, which I think would probably be better for us, but I’m a little nervous for it to be honest. I’ve seen people say 3 units is far too much (his glucose level was 550, vet said it should be around 150). I’ve seen people say changing to low carb wet food could make it so that he doesn’t even need insulin!

I’m just a little overwhelmed with everything and don’t really know where to start. Don’t I need my vet in order to get the prescription for needles and the insulin? If that’s the case, should I let her stop by for this first month, or maybe just ask her about Home testing?

Ahhhhhh!!!! I am willing to do anything for my Dave, but this is just all so stressful.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Dave. It is overwhelming at first, but I promise it will get easier. Home testing is the best thing you can do to help Dave. It’s easy to learn and we’ll be glad to help you along. 3 units is a very high starting dose, especially if you aren’t yet testing! Please come to the Main Health Forum where there is more traffic and we can help you with any questions you have.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is overwhelming in the beginning, but it will get better. Home testing is important as is a low carb wet food diet. I agree that 3 units is a high place to start. Though I have no personal experience with Vetsulin, I think that the starting dose on any insulin is no more than 1 unit. Post your questions on the Main Health Forum, and you will get lots of good advice and support here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.