a little shell shocked

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Berta and Louise, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berta and Louise

Berta and Louise New Member

Just found out our beautiful Louise has diabetes. She is about 6-7, a long haired tortie about 11.8 pounds, and probably 7 years old, just a baby. The vet checked because she lost a pound in the last year. We have 2 other cats, both older and healthy. We have been through CRF (giving fluids) and cat IBD with former cats, but this seems much scarier to me because everything has to be so precise and timed. I travel for business a couple times a year, and my partner has completely freaked about out needles. I know I can do it - I always did the stick when we did fluids. I'm most worried about spacing out the insulin shots - I go in early and do work late occasionally. We also both have ill family members that we try to help long distance. Just the stress of thinking about adding one more thing scares me silly. I know that we will do our very best, but I am terrified that it won't be enough.

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. Breath. I was in your shoes last month when my cat was diagnosed and completely overwhelmed. There is a lot to cover. The good news is yes it is completely manageable. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and beautiful Louise! It is scary and overwhelming at first, but it will get easier. You will find a schedule that works and we will be happy to help you along. If you post on the health forum and tell us what insulin Louise is on and her dose, as well as what you are feeding, we can get started helping you on your journey.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Welcome, I can fully understand having had the same reaction about a month ago when my kitty was diagnosed as well. The boards here have been a great resource and have eased my mind considerably since first wondering what I was going to do. It is getting easier as we find a routine and work towards getting everything under control. The collective knowledge here has really helped me understand the condition and the treatment. It is a bit of a relief that with proper treatment our pets can live a long normal life.

5. Berta and Louise

Thanks so much to everyone! Haven't started anything yet - after what I have read this afternoon, trying to start Louise on wet food. I downloaded Dr. Lisa's tips for getting die hard dry food eaters to eat wet food. I will post more on the health site.
    The best part is I know now I'm not alone in this.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Berta, and welcome to you and Louise. :)

Is Louise receiving insulin yet? If yes, are you home testing? If she is on insulin and you're not yet monitoring her blood glucose levels at home you need to learn to test before changing her food from dry to low carb wet since it may lower her BG levels substantially in a fairly short space of time and her insulin dose may need to be reduced. Here's some information about how to transition safely from Dr Pierson:

Feline Diabetes and Safe Diet Transition with Home Testing

Mogs

7. Berta and Louise

Thank you, Mogs! No insulin yet, and no home testing - just found out today. But am going back to the vet on Friday to make sure that is her only problem. Then he will show me how to give the insulin. I have read so much today that has been so helpful - and I had already seen Dr. Lisa's article on transitioning the food - but hadn't yet read further about the home testing. It was eye opening. . It makes me wonder if it might not be better for Louise if I try to transition the food first. Though my vet did discuss it, but did not heartily recommend it, I can see why home testing is a must. Haven't seen the videos yet, but am too overwhelmed right now to take it all in. I am getting it, slowly...

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You are not alone. Your vet might try to tell you home testing is not necessary. It is the key to keep Louise safe. Human meter is fine. Wal-Mart Confirm or Micro are very popular and easy to use. If your vet is easy to talk with discuss other insulin in place of Vetsulin. Vetsulin is short acting so it drops glucose fast. We can help you with where to get it at the best price.

When you get all your info pop back here and let us know what is going on.

Do not remove dry food until you are home testing, it can create a dangerous situation.

Good luck at your next visit.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Provided Louise isn't on insulin you could start the transition but it needs to be gradual and may take some time. You need to ask your vet to check ketone status (bring a urine sample). If Louise is ketone-prone you'll need to start insulin as soon as possible so that might conflict with the wish to transition her to low carb wet food. If you do manage the transition in the days before your vet appointment you will need to tell the vet that you have changed Louise's diet because she will need to have her blood glucose levels checked again before starting insulin treatment because they could be much lower than they were on dry food. You need to know the impact of any change in dietary carb load in order to determine a safe starting dose of insulin.

Mogs

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and your beautiful girl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.