A long weekend...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cotton's Kate, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton's Kate

Cotton's Kate New Member

Hi all,
    I think I just need to vent a bit. We had a really long weekend here. Cotton had a couple of health scares. He's more or less stopped eating unless I help him, he managed to cut his mouth a bit (no idea how), and the vet was worried about tumors. So I've been assist-feeding him, we've had x-rays, and we have antibiotics for his mouth.

Fortunately it wasn't all bad. The x-rays showed bronchitis, not tumors, thank goodness. And he took a few bites on his own this morning, which he hasn't done since Thursday of last week. I'm still helping, but hopefully he's get his appetite back as the antibiotics kick in. We haven't been able to switch insulin, since the bronchitis and low food intake completely messed with his numbers and the vet wants to try one more week at his current dose before we switch...So its been an emotional roller coaster here.

I'm really just waiting to crash at this point. Every little health thing that we uses to usually be able to deal with so easily is now seeming amplified because of the diabetes.

Does it ever get less stressful?

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Yes, diabetes seemed to make a difference. I think I wasn't as attuned to Maggie and how she felt before diabetes. After, I noticed every little thing. After some time, I eased up a little. I didn't jump at every little behavior/habit change. I learned how Maggie acted when she went too low and didn't get worried as often about that. I got used to the new normal. The "diabetic normal."

I'm not saying it all wasn't stressful. But the "diabetic normal" was the the case most of the time.

I don't know if this helps. Just remember you aren't alone. We understand because we've been there.

3. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

It does get easier in time ;-) You have both been through a lot..... when the dust settles and Cotton feels better you will get the sugar thing worked out it will settle into a routine.

I know I have a tendency to watch Houdini a little more closely than the others and know when he isn't his normal self but at least after 5+ years I don't jump at every little thing. The first year I drove the people on this board and my vet nuts :oops:

We've all been where you are ...... chocolate helps.....so does wine! :lol: Venting is good too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.