A return vistor

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MarcieK, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

I'm back! I was a member from 2001 - 2004 as I tried to learn as much as I could about feline diabetes so I could provide the best care for my beloved Scooter. Sadly, I lost Scooter in 2004 to mass cell cancer. Life went on and a couple of years ago I adopted Pedro. Pedro belonged to a client at the animal clinic I was working in at the time. Pedro is a special needs cat in that he suffers from autoimmune hemolytic anemia and must be on a daily dose of pred. Pedro's owner had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and she found it necessary to sale her home and move in with a family member who was highly allergic to cats. She brought Pedro into the clinic one day in tears - she knew she had to give up Pedro and felt no one would adopt him because of his medical condition. She had resigned herself to the fact she would have to put Pedro down! As she told me this in the exam room my heart broke - she was crying I was crying and I knew there was a solution to this situation. I excused myself from the exam room and quickly found the vet assigned to Pedro. I explain why Pedro was there and without hesitation offered to adopted Pedro. The vet spoke to Pedro's owner and extended my offer which was readily accepted. Pedro has been a member of our household now for 3 years. He shares my office with Churchill, Twister and two lion head rabbits. Pedro also suffers from high cholesterol and trigylcerides. He is currently on Royal Canin Low Calorie Control diet (dry). His u/a today confirmed his diabetes as he had both glucose and low levels of ketones in his urine. His insulin, syringes, meter and stripes have all been ordered and will arrive tomorrow. Scooter trained me well to handle a sugar cat and so today I reenter this world and forum so that I can provide Pedro the very best care possible. Thanks to all in advance for all the help and advice I will ask for in the future. This board is a life safer. I wish one and all a great day!

Zephyr's Brother likes this.
  2. Alix

Alix Member

Welcome back - sorry to see you here under these circumstances - it is the best place to be to learn about diabetes (again)! It is also the place you wish you didn't have to visit!! You have a very kind heart and that will help Pedro very much!! The poor baby has a lot of challenges and the people here will be very willing to help and support (as you know!!).

My one question would be - are you willing to change Pedro's diet to wet food? That may help the diabetes.

Good luck and best wishes for you and Pedro

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See Cat Info for vet-written feline nutrition information.
    To reduce the fat content, you can add 1 ounce plain, lean meat/poultry/fish to 5 ounces of cat food, mix well and portion out. This will reduce fat and carbohydrate content further.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What meter are yo gettings?
    Some are better than others in terms of accuracy and in cost of strips.

5. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

Alix, I have no problem switching Pedro's diet to canned food but it must be very low in fat due to his high cholesterol and trigylcerides. I am open to suggestions.

6. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

Larry, I must confess I do not know specifically what meter my vet ordered for me today. I do know it is calibrated just for cats and dogs and is the meter she uses in her practice. Once I have meter in hand tomorrow I will share what I am using.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sounds like the AlphaTrak meter. Good meter but the strips are expensive. Most of use here us a human meter like Walmart's Relion Confirm

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Your best bet may be the raw food recipe at Cat Info, or finding a good low carb food, then adding plain lean meat/poultry/fish as described on the Cat Info website and in my previous post to reduce the fat content.

9. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

Meter (Alpha Trak) and insulin (vetsulin) arrived today. We are starting Pedro at 1 unit twice daily. At this time we are not going to switch his diet until we see how his numbers (triglycerides and cholesterol) respond to both the insulin and the gemfibrozil he started yesterday. There are lots of variables that will make it a little bit harder to manage his numbers.

10. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

Pedro was a champ tonight for his first glucose test. He was high (409) but thankfully not "oh my gosh" high. Keeping our fingers crossed he has a good night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.