A Spooky Story

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Korrina, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korrina

Korrina New Member

Hello, everyone!

My 14-year-old fur baby, Spooky, was diagnosed with diabetes about two weeks ago, and I'm so happy to find all of you. I'd noticed over the previous few weeks that Spooky had started drinking a lot more water than usual. I'm glad I listened to my instincts and took him in. His blood glucose was 499!

I cried more that day than I had in a long time. I blamed myself. I felt like a bad pet parent.

I immediately switched Spooky to the recommended prescription food. On Monday, I took him to the vet to learn how to give him insulin shots (1 unit every 12 hours). I learned what to look for in terms of hypoglycemia (the advice alone scared me!).

The initial shock has worn off, and Spooky seems to be reacting well to the insulin so far.

My fears, though, have shifted to: What if something happens to him while I'm at work? What if something happens to him while I'm asleep? What do I do if I'm going to be out late and I'm late giving him his insulin? What if I'm going on vacation and have nobody who can give him his insulin for a week?

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on how to manage the commitment involved.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you sure you want to hear this? I hope you took a lot of photos on your last vacation. Once you stop crying it all gets better. Noah is our second diabetic cat, someone here once had five all at one time!
    You could not have picked a better place to be than right here.
    :bighug: :banghead: :coffee:

Korrina likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Korrina, welcome to you and Spooky! You sound just like the majority of us did when our cats were first diagnosed! I followed my poor cat all over the place and would even wake him up when he was sleeping what I thought was too soundly. The thing that helped the most was learning to home test. That’s really the only way to know Spooky is safe and if the insulin dose needs to be adjusted. Come over to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about Spooky and we will answer any questions you have.

Korrina and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

And you get these because we stick together.
    group_hug04.jpg

TempestsMum, Korrina and Sharon14 like this.
  5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi, Welcome!!

You sound pretty much like we all did at one time ( and still do occasionally), the one thing that helped a lot was to home test, that way I knew how he was before shooting him, then I could decide whether to shoot or not specially since I was going to be out at work, or for some reason I couldn't monitor him also if I noticed something a little odd with him I would test him to be sure he was ok. So I totally would recomend home testing that will get a part of the stress off and help you control him better and the most important thing keep him safe

Also quite frankly I also missed a shoot occasionally because I couldn't make it back home on time (life happens), but since this is a marathon I knew that going back to schedule on the next shoot would eventually get him back on track,It would help if you could find a vet technician or a vet that would do house calls and could go to your house to test and shoot when you can't

Noah & me (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  6. cam1975

cam1975 New Member

Korrina likes this.
  7. Korrina

Korrina New Member

I’m constantly waking Spooky up to make sure he’s still with me, so I completely understand! But I will say that I’m feeling slightly less panicked now. He seems to be doing ok, which makes me happy. I will, however, inquire about putting him on an even lower-carb food!

cam1975 likes this.
  8. cam1975

cam1975 New Member

good to hear...mine is better now also...his was up at 587 when I first took him, the 2nd time it went down to 527 the 3rd time it went down to 427 now I go back this Tuesday for another recheck...and I'm going to ask about doing it at home...because it is way to expensive to keep going back each week and pay for all the visits.

Korrina likes this.
  9. Korrina

Korrina New Member

That’s great progress!

Spooky goes back in a week to check his numbers. Hope there’s an improvement!

It’s tough seeing our fur children sick. For so long, it’s just been Spooky and I. I sometimes look at him and cry just because he’s getting older and I’m afraid of losing him!

I’m so glad I found this forum!!

Noah & me (GA) and cam1975 like this.
  10. cam1975

cam1975 New Member

It’s tough seeing our fur children sick. For so long, it’s just been Spooky and I. I sometimes look at him and cry just because he’s getting older and I’m afraid of losing him!

Korrina,
    I know...I have always had at least one cat in my life since I was a child...I could never be w/out at least 1, I have another one right now who is 4 which she has asthma and now Tiggy who is 11 w/ of course diabetes ....growing up I never had any cat's that had these health problems, they lived long and happy lives...very healthy...my last one lived to be 18 1/2 years old...and she has been gone for 4 years now and I still can't bring out her ashes...and I still even call out to her like I always did before when I'm dozing off or first waking up...my other two come running though when I do that ...so it makes me feel better! yea it's very hard to lose one especially when they are a major part of your life for so long.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  11. Noah & me (GA)

Spooky's not old. This is Leroy; broke his jaw, fell from a 3rd floor window into a snowbank, flew across North America with me and his brother BJ. I'd walk him outside on his birthdays. This was his last at 23 years of age. Spooky's gonna rock your life!
    leroy_birthday_walkat22.JPG

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Welcome Korrina and Spooky!

I was so worried, in the beginning, too. I would also wake up frequently during the night to check on J.D. in the beginning, and I couldn't wait to get home from work to check on him. For several years, my boss let me take him to work with me daily, and then later when needed, especially on days where I would have to work past his shot time.
    After J.D. was diagnosed, he flew with me as my carry on back and forth, to visit my Dad in California (we live in New Jersey) each year, for eight years. He was harness/leash trained, micro-chipped, and traveled a lot, even though he didn't particularly like people. If I was with him or nearby, he was okay. We also took long 6 hour drives to Pittsburgh each year to visit friends. The year he was about to turn 20, I thought the stress might be too much for him, so we stayed home that year, and he lived to just past his 20th Birthday. Even though he was a non-regulated diabetic for 9 years, (from 11 to 20), I would often have people tell me he didn't look his age.

I'm just saying that Spooky can live a long happy life, and you can work this out. We are here to support you, and to help you along the way.

TempestsMum and Korrina like this.
  13. Korrina

Korrina New Member

All I can say is thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's overwhelmingly at first. But you will find a routine that works.

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here need us.

16. Rodrigosan & Enzo

Rodrigosan & Enzo New Member

Hi..my boy Enzo is 14 years old, and after an infection from and abess and a two week antibiotic shot, he bagan to show they symptoms, lethargy-drinking more water than usual, gobbling food and eating the left overs of his 1 year old brother "blue"....He has diabetes for sure and it can be a money pit...after his diagnosis we just went back and changed his diet..went to Evo 95, and Purina DM. Took away the kibble and his symptoms are already regressing with no insulin. Self testing is the Key (learn how to do curves to really know your cats diabetes (Test in morn, then afternoon then evening) then average and you have a curve... Enzo's first brother a "Lennox" siamese, died 5 years ago, and we took care of him for three years...Best bet follow Feline Diabetes Message Board...Together they have way more knowledge and sense...with Lennox we were up to 10 units of insulin..fold on the message board said drop the vet!We found a great hollistic vet here in Oakland, and he prescribed...raw food, 3-erops of walnut bud oil DAY(homeopathy tincture), and 2 duplex pills a day...he went into remission in less than two weeks....WE are not there with Enzo and are trying to get I'm into remission with diet, before using any insulin at all....and we have an appointment with the holistic vet, if he does not stabilize in a week...I am already home testing him now....Be good and listen to the good people on the Feline diabetes message board..say hi to Spooky and learn how to test and curve..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.