A whole new world

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by FurBabiesMama, Jul 7, 2017.

1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I have had cats my entire life and have dealt with various conditions, but this one is new for me. A couple of days ago, one of my two cats was diagnosed with diabetes. :(

My Mia is 10 years old this month (not sure how that even happened.. time flies) and is one of the sweetest, most precious cats ever. She is a big, fluffy girl. I could tell she was not feeling very well, and she was drinking, eating and peeing a lot. She started dropping weight fast. (I asked her how to eat a lot and lose weight, because I could use a little of that for myself, but she would not tell me.) So, off to the vet we went and got the bad news. I had to change her diet immediately and start giving her 1 unit of insulin (ProZinc) twice a day .

For me, the worst part is that I have two cats who were used to 'free' feeding and who really like to eat together. One will go get the other, and they will walk to the bowl together and stick their little heads in there side by side to eat. My other cat is 15 years old and not having any issues at all, so I am scared of disrupting her eating and causing issues for her. It has been a pretty stressful couple of days. And, what in the world are we going to do when we travel? I have always had someone come by once a day and take care of/check on them, but that is different than having to ask someone to come twice a day, at specific times, and to administer shots.

I have been reading so much on this topic to give myself a crash course. I was surprised to find out that dry cat food is so bad for them. Why didn't I know that??? I have ALWAYS fed my cats dry food. I made sure it was 'good' dry food and not the funky stuff, but I had no idea that NO dry food is good for them. The vet who gave me the diagnosis actually said that dry food is fine as long as it is the lower carb kind. I called and questioned her on it yesterday, but she stuck to what she told me. Then, today, she called and said she has been researching it and wanted to let me know she gave me incorrect information. She now knows that wet is better for them. (Okay, so, I forgive myself for not knowing dry food is bad if the vet didn't know!) She got points for researching and admitting her mistake, but I am a little worried that she did not already know.

I was glad to find this site and have read a lot of information here. It will be nice to have a place to go if questions or concerns come up along the way. It is also nice to see so many others who love their babies and are managing their way through this. (Group hug :bighug:)

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Mia! This is the best place you never wanted to be!

We have a wonderful community of cat lovers who are ready, willing and able to provide you with all the information and support you need to help Mia and you feel better. A diagnosis of diabetes in our furry kids can be overwhelming. We understand because we have all been there. And a good portion of us have multi cat households so we can help with the issues that affect not only the diabetic but the other feline members of your family too.

We love questions and invite you to post in the HEALTH FORUM with any and all questions or concerns you may have. We're looking forward to getting to know you and Mia. :)

3. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Welcome Mia, her friend, and their Mum!
    Kudos to your Vet for doing research and admitting she did not know :). Will look for your post on Main Health :bighug:

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diagnosis. It definitely is overwhelming at first! Your cat can eat low carb wet food any time except for two hours prior to the preshot testing. :) no more dry food... For the most part. There are only a handful of dry foods under 10 % carb. Young Again Zero carb and Dr.Elsley's Clean Protein.... I do feed those to my cat in addition to fancy feast classic because she and at least one of my others is a kibble addict (I have six cats). I think there's one by Orijien too.

Unfortunately for traveljng you'll need a Caretaker willing to do the testing and shots. We boarded cc at the vet last summer for a few days... This summer fortunately she's in remission.