A wise, sassy, friendly but lippy Russian Blue... with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bisba, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisba

Bisba New Member

It's been a pretty scary past few days, but here I am, setting up log books and introducing myself -- erm, ourselves -- to the FDMB. Hi everyone!

My name is Jenn. My 12 year old Russian Blue - Bizz - was recently (as of Thursday) diagnosed with Feline Diabetes. We rushed him to the animal hospital, thinking that he had a urinary blockage (thankfully my room mate is head vet tech at the hospital, so she was a huge help), and of course fearing the worst. He hadn't moved from the spot he was laying in for almost a day and a half, hadn't eaten or drank or used the litter box, was bloated, etc.

Turns out, he thankfully wasn't experiencing a blockage, however he has a UTI... oh, and the diabetes.

He's currently on antibiotics for the UTI, and I arrived back home with him today with the case of syringes and a month's supply of w/d food and insulin. Big changes for both of us, but, given what we've both been through together, I think we can do this. :cat:

Very happy to meet you guys, and relieved that a community like this exists!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here to help if you need us! BTW, prescription food is not necessary..... It's no better than fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. Save yourself some money.

3. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenn and Bizz! Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be!

Just have a second but wanted to welcome you and give you hugs and headbutts...

Bisba likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Jenn and Bizz from across the Bay!
    We all know the scary feeling in the beginning. This is a support group for Bizz and YOU! :bighug: If you could get your Signature set up it will help before you start posting on the Main Health forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

We highly recommend home testing as it is the best tool in our FD kitty tool belts! I'm sure your roommate can help you with testing. This is the spreadsheet most of us use, just need a Google account:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

And I like to give this to new members, better to be prepared: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Ask any questions :cat:

Bisba likes this.
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenn and Bizz! This is a great place to be! :)

Bisba likes this.
  7. Bisba

Bisba New Member

Thanks! I've been taking notice to the use of signatures around here, and think it's a brilliant idea. I'm on the road a lot, so once I get stationed back home I'll go ahead and update it for you guys.

Gave him his insulin this morning myself for the first time, and I think I was more nervous that he was... I LOATHE needles. His antibiotics however, are a different story. He's beyond mad at me right now for shoving that disgusting stuff down his throat... I actually ran out of the room gagging from the smell, so I can only imagine how he feels!

And thanks everyone for the welcome! He's still not really drinking anything, but he's starting to nibble at food. We're not out of the dark yet, but hopefully once these antibiotics kick in, he'll pick back up... hopefully.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Are you dry pilling him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.