Abby formerly OTJ...coming back?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristin and Abby (GA), Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristin and Abby (GA)

Kristin and Abby (GA) Member

Gang,

I thought I'd ask this question here and get your thoughts. Abby was initially diagnosed 3 years ago, was on insulin for 2 1/2 weeks and then promptly went straight into a honeymoon. She's been honeymooning every since (yay!). Last fall she was diagnosed hyperT but had I-131 and has been cleared from that mess too. Now within the last week I've noticed hungry-hungry hippo coming back...chowing all her food within an hour or two of feeding. This is unusual for her so I tested her BG and it was up in the 270s.

What's strange is that besides the BGs, the hunger is the ONLY diabetic symptom I see. No lethargy and no excessive peeing...both of which were very evident with these types of #s the last go-round.

Assuming her blood work from yesterday comes back normal (i.e. nothing other than BG) both me and the vet are pondering the best course of action - try the dental and see if that works or just go straight to the insulin again? The vet sees some gingivitis, but if we assume it's simply a dental that's needed and bring the #s down how long would it take for the #s to respond to that?

Any thoughts based on experience?

Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If its only been a week, maybe it hasn't been long enough to start showing the other symptoms (?).

Treating any infection (ie dental which should clear up gingivitis) should help - but until then, I'd be inclined to give some small amount of insulin due to the damaging effects of hyperglycemia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.