GA Abby is really sick

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmluker, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmluker

cmluker New Member

Abby was diagnosed with diabetes last fall. Until recently I had no problem getting her insulin and she was doing great. She was happy, active, and loving. My employment situation has changed and I have moved to a new city, and I haven't been able to afford her insulin. She has only had 3 insulin injections 3 times in the last two weeks. I've been working on finding less expensive insulin and talking with a cat rescue that has their own clinic so I can afford her medication. Yesterday afternoon Abby took a turn for the worse. She is barely moving, she staggers when she walks, and she can only walk a few steps at a time. She barely eats and drinks. I called the vet clinic this morning and it's going to cost me a whole lot more than I have to get her seen and, hopefully, well. My regular vet is closed half days on Wednesdays so I couldn't even call them. My hope and prayer is that they will work with me on a payment plan. I'm not asking for a handout or freeby. I just can't pay for everything all at once. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Suggestions and encouragement will be welcomed. I have cried nearly all day today because I'm suppose to take care of my fur baby and I haven't been able to.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
    Reason for edit: Added the GA prefix. Fly free dear Abby... land softly.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Abby is sick. Have you tested her for ketones?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Please check our Supply Closet for insulin. What are you currently using? We have some guidelines to help you use whatever you have.
    Without insulin, she is starving to death and breaking down fat for calories. This may cause diabetic ketoacidosis, hepatic lipidosis, or both, which can require very expensive treatment and hospitalization.
    The glucose toxicity is causing the difficulty standing and walking. Methylcobalamin, a form of Vitamin B-12, may help with that.
    BCP PZI is one of the least expensive, long-acting insulins available. Your vet sends them the RX and you pay them directly.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. cmluker

cmluker New Member

I have not checked the Supply Closet for insulin. Abby takes Pro Zinc. My problem is I have no money to pay for anything right now. I don't get paid until next Friday. That's why I need a vet to work with me on a payment plan.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It sounds very much like Abby could very well be in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). It's fatal if not treated. Is there anyone who can float you a loan til you get paid? I don't want to scare you , but this could be an urgent situation. She really needs to be seen by a vet ASAP... like tonight. At the very least, call an ER to see if they'll charge a small fee to test her for ketones if you bring her in now. At least you'd know if you're dealing with ketoacidosis.

The recipe for DKA is an inadequate supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses.

Until you can see a vet try to get any kind of food into her that she'll eat. Finger or syringe feed if necessary. Try to get both food and water into her every hour or two tops.

Pet Diabetes Wiki "Ketoacidosis": What is it? Is it dangerous? When to go to the vet? How do you test for it?
    Please go to the link to read all about ketones and diabetic ketoacidosis.

Check these out:
    Financial Help Links
    Ketones, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and Blood Ketone Meters

(((((MaLinda & Abby)))))
    My thoughts and prayers are with you...
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you got a Walmart near you?

7. Kot

Kot Member

I am very sorry...
    Have you heard of "Care Credit"? http://www.carecredit.com/howcarecreditworks/
    You can pay for the vet right away with this card (if you vet accepts it; on the website there is an option to check if you vet is in their "network") and then have 6 or 12 months to pay off the balance on the card with no interest.
    I've used it with Bailey recently for his DKA hospital stay.

8. cmluker

cmluker New Member

I am currently sitting in the ER. The doctor said she definitely would not make it through the night if at home. They're doing what they can now. Unfortunately, my care credit limit is too low to do much. I'm gonna set up a GoFundMe account and see if I can get some help to cover the cost. Wish me luck.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

I'm so glad you were able to take Abby to an ER. It's the best place for her right now.

This link contains a a list of financial aid resources including those already mentioned:
    Financial Help Links
    Maybe you'll find an organization to help.

Please let us know how things are going when you can.
    Sending more positive thoughts and prayers.

Take care...
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Prayers for Abby to make it through.
    How would I find the Go Fund Me account?

12. Sharon14

Sending prayers for you and Abby. Please keep us posted.:bighug:

13. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

Healing vibes and prayers to your kitty. Hugs

14. cmluker

cmluker New Member

UPDATE...

Abby was put to sleep at 1:15a.m. She was far sicker than not having her insulin. Her ketone levels were really good which surprised the vet. However, she was in complete liver and kidney failure and the vet strongly believes this has been coming for a while now. Hindsight is 20/20 and I can now see the signs. Thanks to all for your prayers and info. I have to go to work now and try to make it through the day without breaking down.

15. Sharon14

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending Prayers for you on this sad day:bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Abby.

{{hugs}}

Star Cat.jpg

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  17. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

So sorry for your loss. Fly free little Abby.

18. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. She will live on forever in your heart.

Fly free, beloved Abby cat_wings>o

19. Kot

Kot Member

I am terribly sorry for your loss! I wish you the best to make it through the next few weeks. Try to find comfort in knowing that Abby is free and happy now while waiting to greet you again someday!

20. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers.

21. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Abby and keep watch over those who love you. cat_wings>o

22. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

So very sorry for your loss.

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

(((MaLinda)))
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

cat_wings>o Fly free sweet little Abby... land softly.

24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

So very sorry to hear this. Cats do an amazingly good job of hiding illness. I hope you are making it through, one day at a time. Lots of hugs to you

25. smiley747

smiley747 Member

I just saw this. I totally sympathize with you. I lost my Molly to a sudden death September 18th. my husbands cat who had cancer was doing well (for her condition) but took a sudden downturn this past Sunday night 11/15 at 1 in the morning. We had to bring her to emergency and put her down because she was suffering :( He had her for 14 years since a baby. It is heart breaking when they go. I'm still not over my Molly dying and now Scully - 2 months apart :( I totally empathize with you and also you having to work while this happened. So very sorry. Just remember - even though it won't change things. she is at peace now.

26. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you had to loose Abby.

27. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

God Speed dear little Abbycat_wings>o

28. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry ((((MaLinda)))) I know how much pain you must be feeling. Go ahead and grieve.
    Know that Abby knows how much you love her right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.