About 5 weeks on this train.....What's going on????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by gizzysmom, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizzysmom

gizzysmom New Member

Hi Everyone! We have been on this train a little over a month now and I am having trouble with Gizzy eating now. He came home at 8 lbs 2 oz. The vet told me to keep feeding him his wet friskies but also had me add purine dm because the other indoor cats free feed dry and that would be best for Gizzy. He came home from the vet with 2 units 2 x day. He always seemed tired..no energy so I switched it to 1.5 units. He seemed to have more energy and started gaining weight. On 9/7 he went in for his first curve and his numbers were 459 (this was after his am insulin shot) then 435 and 337. Not sure of his weight on that day, they didn't say . The doc said move him back up to 2 units which I did. I decided to weigh him and it was 9 lbs 4 oz on 9/11 on 9/ 13 was 9lbs 6 oz. Thought we were on our way! He was active, playing, and interacting with other cats. Well last week, I started noticing that he was getting finicky. He was not wanting but a little food but was drinking a lot of water and peeing more it seems. He is still eating, just not as much as before and is still finicky. So I decided to weigh him yesterday day and he was only 8lbs 6 oz!!!! I am spazing! He goes for a curve Tuesday. I had bought some BLUE WILDERNESS ROCKY MNT RECIPE cCANNED FOOD and was wondering if this line is ok for diabetic kitties. The guy at PetSmart told me it was great for diabetics but when I got home, I read potato starch so I was unsure. So I now have about 6 different flavors that I haven't used because of thAt. I do not test at home yet because Gizzy isn't too keen on the shots still so I didn't want to stress him anymore yet. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you and Gizzy have had a journey. We feel strongly that the only way to safely treat feline diabetes is to test him before each shot and midcycle so you know your dose is a safe amount to give and how low the insulin is taking him. We have taught hundreds of people with difficult cats how to shoot and test without stress to you or Gizzy. We'd be glad to try to help you.

The trouble with vet curves and then dose changes based on those numbers is that most cats are very stressed at the vet and stress raises bg levels. Once the cat gets home, a dose based on those levels can be too high.

I don't know about the food, but agree the potato starch doesn't sound good. The most up to date food chart here is on this site: www.catinfo.org

Let us know how we can help.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

When you're at the vets ask them to check his B12 and folate levels. He might need a course of B12 supplementation. That might help his appetite, too.

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Welcome Gizzysmom!
    Glad you found this place. It is the best!!
    What insulin are you giving??
    I feed friskies from the list that Sue and Oliver provided for you in their post.
    Would you be willing to start home testing? Perhaps someone is in your area that could lend a hand?
    Testing is the key to it all.
    My sugar girl would be much higher at the vet than testing at home, it is less expensive at home once
    your basic supplies are purchased.
    I think I spent about 40-50 for everything to get set up and my test strips are very affordable using
    the Walmart meter.
    From my testing at home, my girl is now in remission!! I would never have been able to do that
    if I had not started testing. We are going on 3 years of low carb diet, treats and testing. We still
    test but only about once a month, just to make sure my sugar girl behaves her self! :lol:

Hope you ask for advice for as many questions you could possibly have, this is the place to get answers!

5. gizzysmom

gizzysmom New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and try home testing. Gizzy cuts a wide trail around me already when I give his shots so I cannot imagine getting near him for ear pricks but I will ask vet Tuesday to show me. My daughter has a one touch ultra mini that she no longer uses.....would that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.