Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgans and Eegie - GA

Sgans and Eegie - GA Member

Today was my Eegie's first test/insulin injection. His glucose was 440 this morning.

'Course I bought the ReliOn PRIME, not knowing I should buy the Confirm or Micro, and they won't let me exchange the unopened packages, so I tried getting enough blood for the Prime. What a job! But finally got it to work from the paw.

Got to set up the spreadsheet - but thanks to Chris Ronkiski, I now know what AMPS and PMPS means! That was confusing! :)

Hoping to get some great info here - I know I will!!! Thanks for having us!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lancets for alternate site testing are a bit bigger - 25-28 gauge - and may be more successful in getting blood.

Sgans and Eegie - GA likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to see you here Stephanie!! I know you've already gotten a lot of information from the Facebook group, but the message board is where you'll want to come to get dosing advice as well as learning how to use your insulin and lots of other great stuff!!

If you go to the top right (where it has your name) there's a drop down menu that'll come up when you put your cursor on your name. One of the choices will be "Signature"

If you look directly below my post here, you'll see that there's information about China, myself, the meter we use, the insulin, food and the link to our spreadsheet. Having all that information in your signature will keep us from asking the same questions over and over again!!

It'd also be great when you have some time if you'd do a profile page on your extra sweet kitty that explains all of the health challenges he has.

I know you're looking at the spreadsheet program too...If you need help with it, let us know, but if you can do an Excel program, you can do ours!

The people here are great and want to help you get your sweet cat as healthy as possible, so keep asking questions!!

4. Sgans and Eegie - GA

THANK YOU!!! It's been overwhelming, and I'd have gotten everything done... if I hadn't ever needed any sleep last night! :)

This evening, I'll be able to start the spreadsheet- and now that I know what to add to the signature, once I create my spreadsheet, I'll do all that.

I DID get some luck today (with the suggestion for bigger lancets, btw- thank you, @BJM - I got a hold of some 26 gauge and I bought a Micro meter, which is helping. Today only took 4 stabs! MY POOR BABY! He dealt with it with his customary macho-ness...

I SO appreciate you guys - your help - and the fact that you're even HERE!!! Thank you!

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Stephanie!

I'm glad to see you on the Board, too. Don't worry. We're all here to help you get Eegie back on track to being a healthy, happy cat. I already know you're not afraid to ask questions, so keep asking!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Don't worry...our kitties are really forgiving and most of them realize that they feel better too!

Here's some info on testing that might help too

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

7. Sgans and Eegie - GA

Thank you, Chris! I'm so NOT a wuss, but when it comes to my boy and pain... I'm wussy! I did pick a spot that seems to make him happy. In a living room chair, lying on his back on my lap. He does love my lap and he's cozy and purring like that, despite the fact that it makes getting to ears a bit more difficult. Today's 2nd shot - I got enough blood with a single poke! I'm so proud!!! ;)

I've been opening up all the testing stuff and moving it into place before grabbing him, since it's all stored in the kitchen. At first, the paws were better, but it seems harder to get a good enough blood bead there, so I've done ears the past couple of times. His ears are so thin though - I'm threading his ear and pricking my own finger doing it! He does jump with the jab, but he's really a very mellow boy and if you read the history I've just added to my signature (Did I do all that right?) you'll see what a macho guy he really is - putting up with all he does, and he's still a gentleman and sweeter than anyone - certainly WAY nicer than I'd be in his situation!

I'm not nervous or tense... we've been through a lot... and I can't be grossed out anymore either. But I think I may just try singing next time anyway! Sounds fun! :)

Please do check my signature and tell me if it's good. I'm not sure if I can, but I'm going to try to post the numbers to the forum. I read about the depot effect - but these numbers are freaking me out a little...

Thank you, guys!

BTW - in 8 months (it won't let me sooner) I'm going to change my username to include Eegie (didn't know I could), but for right now... I'm hoping we're still here then...

8. Chris & China (GA)

Great job on the Signature!!! You pick up things quickly!!

That IS a good response for him today! It takes 5-7 days for the "depot" to fill, so you won't see the full effects of the dose until then, but getting into blues this soon is nice!!

It's important for you to get at least a "before bed" test at night. Most cats go lower at night, so that test can let you know if it's safe to sleep the rest of the night, or if you need to set an alarm to make sure you get up for more testing.

Lantus dosing is based on how low it takes them, not the Pre-shot numbers, so as long as he stays above 50, we'd keep him at the 1 unit dose.

As for poking through his ears...we've all done that! When we first started I seriously considered buying China some nice diamond stud earrings.....LOL

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Fold a piece of tissue and use it to help brace and cushion the ear ... and not stab yourself!

Lori & Lulu likes this.
  10. Sgans and Eegie - GA

Thank you, Chris - that's very good to know. Maybe I can get that depot up when it's not such a crazy work week and I can watch later at night and do a late test. For now, I'm happy with today's numbers - but not how quickly he's showing sensitivity, and am afraid to give him a full dose. I'm going to hold off on the 1 unit tonight and start fresh tomorrow (I know there's no depot in him, but I kinda need to see what happens to his numbers now without the insulin influence - to get a feel), since I can't do the night stuff when I work.... But that dosing information is VERY helpful! I appreciate the explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.