?? About slow hair regrowth after Ultrasound

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tuxedo Mom, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My Tuxie had an ultrasound done on January 2 this year so it is now 3 months since that time. Of course he had to be shaved on the belly area for the US.

His fur has still not grown back in the shaved areas other than a teeny bit of peach fuzz. Has anyone else had such a slow regrowth with their kitty?? My vet says it is because of the diabetes, but 3 months with little growth seems a long time.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Some of my cats experienced the same slow hair growth. I noticed it bnoth n my civi shaved belly for US and for my other cats when they shaved an area for IV insertion.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for the reply. It does not bother Tuxie and it actually makes it easier for me to do his shots, but it has just been bothering me. If that is "normal" in some cats then I can quit fretting over it. I also fretted over why Tuxie's whiskers seemed to be twisted and broken at the ends. Finally I figured out that because he was using his water dish so much they were pressing on the edge of the bowl so I changed to a wider bowl and filled it fuller. Now his whiskers are staring to come back in. As if I didn't have enough to fret over I have to find more :)

bsmith likes this.
  4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Diabetic cats do generally take longer to heal and that does include growing fur back

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

I am glad to hear that..I am such a worry-wart :)

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Do you know why the diabetes may slow healing and fur growth? I'd like to learn more about this.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. Tuxedo Mom

That is a great question!!

By understanding the physiological process of slower healing etc maybe we can help out kitties even more. I have been trying to find articles about poor healing and hair growth for cats, but so far have not been able to fins anything specific to cats. These articles are about people but probably gives an overall that may also apply to kittie as well.

http://www.woundcarecenters.org/article/living-with-wounds/how-diabetes-affects-wound-healing

http://americandiabetes.com/how-diabetes-affects-wounds-and-healing/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070504141456.htm

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

My baby had an ultrasound in early December - her hair is still growing back and has just lately looked a little longer than peach fuzz. I think it's normal!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  9. Andrea&Tennessee (GA)

Andrea&Tennessee (GA) Well-Known Member

Tennie is still missing his hair from where they shaved to give him iv fluids back in December. It has come back in patches. Some areas have growth others don't.
    I'm glad to hear that he is not the only one with this issue!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Saoirse was shaved all over the place recently for her dental, scans, etc. Most recently was 24 March. Her hair is growing back already. I give Saoirse a food that is high in taurine supplementation (1.5g/kg). I wonder whether this helps. I just tried a quick web search for taurine and hair growth. It came back with quite a few hits.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=taurine and hair growth&t=ffab

EDITED TO ADD:

I also get B12 injections for Saoirse. Just did a web search for that and seem to have scored a bullseye.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=b12 and hair growth&t=ffab

Hopefully I'm on the right course with her. I was relieved to see her fur growing back because she has definite nutrient malabsorption problems since coming off insulin (her fur has started to rust again, for example).

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  11. Tuxedo Mom

I actually tried taurine for myself, since I have thin, fine hair and after 4 months it had not made a bit of difference. B12 methy I take as well. Oh well..I guess Tuxie is just like his Mom..nothing simple for either of us. :)

I add taurine to my kitties' homemade food and I also add extra taurine to his daily food. I did the B12 injections and am now doing B12 methylcobalamine tabs (Natural Factors) Of course my Tuxie is not going to do things the easy way.

12. Critter Mom

What cat does? But then that's part of their irresistible charm. ;)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  13. Tuxedo Mom

Well if kitties are not going to learn to speak human language then we REALLY need a develop a good course on understanding kitty language...that would make things SO much easier!! Just imagine if our kitties could actually tell us in our own language what was going on with them! :)

Critter Mom and Vyktors Mum like this.
  14. Critter Mom

That's where proper observation, secondary monitoring, and journal keeping come in. Through writing down all I observe in Saoirse each day, I have learned patterns in her behaviour, physiological changes, BG and so forth. It has helped me to start learning to better comprehend all that Saoirse's body is trying to tell me. :) I can tell sometimes that her BG is in lower numbers based on the consistency of her saliva.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  15. Tuxedo Mom

I have literally hundreds of pages of notes from the last 4 months...everytime he moves I notate it..a little OCD don't you think!!! With me being home most the time and basically being a shadow to my Tuxie, I think I know him better than he knows himself..lol. He has even gotten to the point that he meows before he goes down to the litter box since I always tell him to let me know when he is going so I can check and measure his pees/poops. But I still think it would be nice if he could just say"hey Mom.. I'm going to the litter box now..hurry up if you want to take notes" :) :)

Critter Mom and bsmith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.