About to adopt a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Victoria&Ricco, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria&Ricco

Victoria&Ricco New Member

Hi Everyone! After losing my absolutely amazing cat Nando to CHF and HCM, I am about to take the plunge again and adopt a beautiful senior cat with diabetes. I figure if I could keep Nando alive with severe heart disease for 6 years past his "6 months to a year" diagnosis, I'm up for a challenge and Ricco was rescued from a high kill shelter because his previous owners couldn't deal with his diabetes.
    So I'm at square one trying to figure all of this out. He is currently on Lantus and I need to buy a glucometer. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices in meters out there, any suggestions?
    Thanks so much!!!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Victoria and Ricco!
    So great you are rescuing a sugar kitty! You can make a post on the Main Health to get more opinions on glucometer :). I'll post as soon as I see it ;)

Victoria&Ricco likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome!! Kudos to you for giving this lucky kitty a chance. We can help. See you over on the main health forum. :)

4. Victoria&Ricco

Victoria&Ricco New Member

Thanks for the replies. Yong, if you need any advice on the cardiomyopathy, let me know. Nando made me into pretty much of an expert!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

You will get a lot of help from these ladies, I don't feel as knowledgeable as these ladies.

I am happy to see you adopting a cat, that a lot of people would not try. I'm sure this kitty will be wonderful.
    We are happy that both of you are here and you will receive a lot of help.

6. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Good for you! Thanks for adopting a diabetic cat.

The AlphaTrek (for pets) & the Walmart ReliOn (for humans) are popular choices. I went with the ReliOn, as the test strips are cheaper, but the numbers will be slightly different (tho people here have experience with that).

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB! It's so great that you are adopting a senior cat, and one that is diabetic, to boot! I have no doubt that Ricco will do well in your care. :):)

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg that's so awesome!!!! You're an angel. We are here for you every step of the way!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and so amazing that you're opening your home and heart to a older sugar kitty!!! You've come to the right place!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.