About to adopt a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by Victoria&Ricco, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Victoria&Ricco

Victoria&Ricco New Member

Hi Everyone! After losing my absolutely amazing cat Nando to CHF and HCM, I am about to take the plunge again and adopt a beautiful senior cat with diabetes. I figure if I could keep Nando alive with severe heart disease for 6 years past his "6 months to a year" diagnosis, I'm up for a challenge and Ricco was rescued from a high kill shelter because his previous owners couldn't deal with his diabetes.
    So I'm at square one trying to figure all of this out. He is currently on Lantus and I need to buy a glucometer. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices in meters out there, any suggestions?
    Thanks so much!!!

2. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Welcome Victoria and Ricco!
    So great you are rescuing a sugar kitty! You can make a post on the Main Health to get more opinions on glucometer :). I'll post as soon as I see it ;)

Victoria&Ricco likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome!! Kudos to you for giving this lucky kitty a chance. We can help. See you over on the main health forum. :)

4. Victoria&Ricco

Victoria&Ricco New Member

Thanks for the replies. Yong, if you need any advice on the cardiomyopathy, let me know. Nando made me into pretty much of an expert!

Yong likes this.
  5. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

You will get a lot of help from these ladies, I don't feel as knowledgeable as these ladies.

I am happy to see you adopting a cat, that a lot of people would not try. I'm sure this kitty will be wonderful.
    We are happy that both of you are here and you will receive a lot of help.

6. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Good for you! Thanks for adopting a diabetic cat.

The AlphaTrek (for pets) & the Walmart ReliOn (for humans) are popular choices. I went with the ReliOn, as the test strips are cheaper, but the numbers will be slightly different (tho people here have experience with that).

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB! It's so great that you are adopting a senior cat, and one that is diabetic, to boot! I have no doubt that Ricco will do well in your care. :):)

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg that's so awesome!!!! You're an angel. We are here for you every step of the way!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Beenie

Beenie Well-Known Member

Welcome and so amazing that you're opening your home and heart to a older sugar kitty!!! You've come to the right place!!

Squalliesmom likes this.