About to do pre-shot test concerned about dose amount

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ian & Oz, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi,
    Today has been completely different than all others in regards to Oz's BG levels.
    The high 500's reading this morning could possible be because of a few things but then his 100's numbers are new to us.
    We're about to do his BG test & are wondering what level we should be concerned with. He's on his 7th day at 1.5u, if his level is ? what should we do. This is our first time having to decide on same dose, lower dose or no dose. This test will be after having no food for two hours.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

2. Thebudster77

Thebudster77 Member

Hello Ian,

I am totally surprised/stumped at the AMPS 524 and then it coming down to 132 @+5.

I had high numbers with Jack but it took 3 days @ 3 u to bring it down into the blue from black.

I hope someone will come along and give you some more experienced advice. In absence of that, I would get the PMPS. If it was 250+ I would continue the 1.5, if it is still in the blue, well I would err on the side of caution and only give 1u. Will you be around at +4 of the PM cycle?

I see that there are no numbers in the PM section. Are you unable to test during that cycle? Since that is the cycle coming up and if you are unable to test then really, all bets are off.

I see you are on now and will monitor this thread for your response.

How close are you to the PMPS?

Kevin

3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Kevin,

As Ian mentioned, that 524 this morning could have been due to several factors (bad reading, fur shot last night, bounce from low numbers last night, etc.) It could have also been a "high" before a bounce broke. Some cats take 3 full days to clear a bounce; some cats can clear a bounce in just a cycle (or less). Although the readings are pretty unusual, some cats do have big swings in numbers like that during a cycle. For instance, on 2/22, Jersey went from 429 at AMPS to 33 at +6. :shock:

Ian,

A few questions - Are you home to monitor tonight? Can you get some tests in tonight? Do you have high-carb food and/or Karo syrup on hand? What do you feel most comfortable with? The first time individuals are faced with lower numbers, some people will skip altogether. Some people will shoot a one-time reduced dose, and some people will go ahead and give the full amount.

4. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Just saw the PMPS # appear on your spreadsheet, and it looks like you shot the full dose. Again, great job getting those tests in today. Look at how much that told us! Can you snag another test before you go to bed tonight? Remember - you don't have to withhold food before that test. Just feed like you normally would and get a test whenever it's most convenient for you.

5. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for responding.
    Well now his BG level was 276 so we gave him the usual 1.5 dose.
    Not sure why his levels are all over the place today, really trying to understand all of this new info.
    Are you not able to see any of the P.M. numbers or just for tonight?
    I just put in the latest numbers.

Thanks for your help

Ian

6. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi Shelly,

I'm really confused by all of the fluctuations today, hoping things will level out & make sense.
    I'll see if I can get another reading tonight.
    Thank you for the food info too!

Ian

7. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

As you mentioned, that high number this morning could have been due to several different factors. The good news is the insulin did it's job and brought Oz down into those blue numbers. A couple of things could be going on now - either the insulin "wore off" and that's why you saw that 276 at PMPS....or Oz's liver saw those blues today and panicked. Although those blue numbers were perfectly safe, Oz isn't used to being in those numbers; his body is used to higher numbers. So when Oz reached those blues, Mr. Liver panicked and release extra glucose to bring the numbers back up. (That's the "bouncing" we've talked about before.) If Oz's numbers stay high or go higher tonight, we'll know that we're probably looking at a bounce.

You had asked before about regulation. It can definitely take a while for a kitty to become regulated. When you first start out, you're not only dealing with trying to find the right dose but also dealing with all of that bouncing thanks to Mr. Liver. As Oz gets used to spending time in "normal" numbers again (once you find the dose that gets him into those normal numbers consistently), his liver will stop panicking as much. You'll see the overall range of numbers come down. Every cat is different. Some cats become regulated quite quickly. Kevin's cats are two that I think of right off the bat. Other cats take a while longer. Jersey, for example, bounced herself right into remission. It took us about 6 weeks on Lantus before we "turned the corner" and saw her numbers come down consistently. At this stage in the game, what you're seeing isn't unexpected. I know it's hard to see all of these numbers all over the place, but that's very common when first starting out. I promise you - it will get better!

8. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

9. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi Shelly,
    Thank you for the explanation it really helps!
    Everything is so new & unknown & all we want to do is help him.
    It's good to know that things will eventually come together & help regulate Oz, just tough at the moment trying to make sense of all the information needed to do the right thing.
    Thank you for the link also.

Ian

10. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Just checking in tonight to see how Mr. Oz is doing. (I'm glad the explanation helped, too.)

Hope everything is going well!
    Shelly

11. Ian & Oz

Ian & Oz Member

Hi Shelly,
    Thanks for checking in.
    All is well at the moment, just updated his chart, managed to get a reading at 2 A.M also.
    Hoping that the 200's range we're seeing is the insulin leveling off so maybe soon we'll know if we can go up a little more.
    His insulin was accidentally left out over night but it was in a bag which should have helped keep it cool for quite awhile, I looked up Lantus info & it seems that the insulin should be fine.

Thank You
    Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.