ABs make Charlie vomit...what should I do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Charliemeow, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Charlie was put on ab's (clavamox) yesterday for a minor toe infection His first dose was last evening after his 10:30pm meal (+5). He also ate at 1:15 am. Sometime between when we went to sleep at 11 and woke up at 6:30 he threw up lots of the food. I now remember that he did this last time he was on clavamox. He has only eaten half of his breakfast, but his amps is 484. I'm not sure if I should shoot his usual 6.5u? I Did not give him the ab's tjis morning. Vet is closed, so ill call monday to get a different kind. Any advice?

2. Charliemeow

Re: AB's=vomit, but amps:484. Should I shoot?

He just ate the rest of his breakfast 10 minutes ago. I think I will shoot his normal dose in 5 minutes if I don't hear otherwise.

3. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

I certainly would not give the full dose. Sometimes if my cat vomits or doesn't eat well one day I will skip the dose if his BG is fairly low. However with a BG of almost 500 I would be concerned about leaving it that high. AS you know high BG and infections can be a recipe for ketones to start. Under circumstances like this, some other board members have advised to do a half dose and moniter more often. This certainly seems reasonable. I would also moniter for ketomes if you have the urine stix to do this.

When human diabetics are vomiting or dehyrated, rarely is the insulin held back altogether unless the BG is really low (like 200 or under). Usually a low dose is given because the body still needs some insulin. I would certainly still try to get your kitty to eat. Even if he does vomit he would still likely retain some fluids and food in his GI tract

You might want to even consider giving him a third of the usual dose and moniter closely today. I am sure by the time I post this you will get more feedback from other members. I hope your kitty feels better today and your vet can prescribe a new antibiotic .

4. Charliemeow

I already shot the full dose. I'm home all day to test, and he ate his full breakfast. So hopefully we will be ok.

5. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Sorry I didn't get to you in time .If your cat doesn't vomit again you should be OK. I would still get some between numbers today. If he vomits again you can always adjust the PM dose.

My cat vomits a lot of abtibiotics also. For some reason he does this more with liquid forms than pills. At one point I was giving him a quarter tablet of pepcid daily that did decrease the vomiting.

6. Charliemeow

Should I ask for a different antibiotic? I've never pulled a cat before and that's why I always get the liquid, but if he's less likely to puke with a pill, I could try it I don't think I'm gonna give the ab at all today until I talk to the vet tomorrow.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia,

I have heard that Clavamox is a good antibiotic but is easier on kitty's stomach in pill form. Here's what Dr. Lisa says about pilling a cat: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=pillingcats Maybe it will give you some ideas?

8. Charliemeow

Thanks for the pepcid tip, Janelle, and for linking me to that article, Sue. Good tips. I think I'll post this in pzi too to see if anyone else has experienced something similar to this with ab's. I know Judy had lots of experience with pills.

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I was successful with Mr. Kitty just mixing the liquid Clavamox dose into
    something yummy...like baby food chicken.

But then, Mr.Kitty was a chow-hound...liked everything.

10. Charliemeow

Geting Charlie to take it isn't a problem. He loves the taste of it (even begged for more), it's the keeping it down that's a problem. Had Mr. Kitty thrown it up before?

11. mrswoodwoose

mrswoodwoose Member

Cattro also vomits this drug up, known as Clavaseptin in the UK. The information sheet warns that this can happen, I think it's the potassium clavulanate. she is fine with other A-B's, so I would ask for another kind. It can't work if they just bring it up again. Good luck

12. Charliemeow

It's a relief to hear that another kitty who throws it up is fine with other ab's. I would hate to be cleaning up all this vomit twice a day for 7 days. Especially since we're trying to sell the house and could have to show it at any time. I'm scared to have him vomit and still need to give him his insulin, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.