Abu!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mcnota, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Hi,
    My 12 year old cat Abu was diagnosed with FD this past week. He started insulin yesterday. Prozinc, 1 unit, twice a day. We haven't changed his food yet, but will be eventually. I am new to this and have no idea what I am doing! Glad to have found this forum.

Megan

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! That's a good starting dose. How can we help you? :)

3. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

I don't really know! Haha! I need to go get a home tester, what is the best one to buy? Also, suggestions on food?

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Any human meter will do. Look for one that takes the smallest amount of blood and has the best priced test strips. If you're in the US, the Relion Confirm or Micro from Walmart are popular choices. As for food a low car wet food is best, but since you've started insulin, be sure you're testing before making any changes. Here's a chart listing food, look for ones under 10carbs
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Many on here use a human meter. I prefer a pet meter because I like having the same readings as my vet, but the strips are about triple that of the human meters at just under a dollar per strip. I find the cost worth it, but if cost is a factor, go with the Relion Confirm or Micro (not the prime only because you need a larger sample size.)

As for food most of us feed fancy feast classic or friskies pate. Most pate style foods are fine.

Once you're home testing we'd all be happy to help with dosage tweaking. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

6. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Ok great. I was looking at that ReliOn one, which pet meter is preferred and where can I get it? How do the human and pet ones read differently? I'm not familiar at all.

I will be switching foods soon, when my vet tells me to. I have an appointment Wednesday so maybe we will figure that out then.

I am in the US, Wisconsin actually.

7. Kris & Teasel

The pet meter you read about most on here is the AlphaTrak 2 and most people buy it from the vet. Vets like you to use it because it gives readings that are very close to what they get. However, the test strips for this meter are $$$ which is why many people use a human meter. Some people have both and use the pet meter when they are doing a "curve" for the vet and use a human meter day to day. Human meters read lower than pet meters. Yu can't really convert the readings from one to the other. You just have to learn what range of blood glucose numbers is too high, OK or too low on the meter you choose to use.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, should have said that. I use an Alphatrack 2. https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Bl...=8-1&keywords=alphatrack2 glucometer for pets

Human meters have lower numbers... they human meters will vary less from the pet meter at lower levels and greater at higher levels... but ultimately both will say if your cat is high or low. Too low on a pet meter is under 68 (normal is 68-150) and too low on a human meter is 50 (normal is 50-120)

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Mcnota and Abu!
    Glad you already have some signature information and SS ready to go! I'm one of the people Kris described. I wanted to use AT2 pet meter for reasons Janet uses hers but with not working I had to get a human glucometer, ReliOn Confirm for daily testing. When you're ready come start a thread for Abu on the Prozinc forum! Ask any questions :bighug:.

Just going to leave you with one link that I like to give to new members, being prepared is better: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

10. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Great, thanks for all the info so far. Once I get my test kit, when do I do my testing?

11. Kris & Teasel

This is the testing routine that we recommend:
    1. AM and PM every day before feeding and giving insulin. There should be no food eaten at least 2 hours before these shots so they're not food influenced. These tests will tell you if the planned dose is safe.
    2. At least one other mid cycle and/or before bed test to see how low the BG goes.
    3. Extra tests on days off to fill in the insulin response picture.

12. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

How do I test for ketones?

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Best way I found was a tip from Kris. Get a long handled spoon, metal or silicon, not wooden. When Abu is in the box slide it under him and catch a little sample to dip the test strip in. Make sure you read the result in listed time frame, about 15 seconds for most. It will get darker the longer it sits. :)

Mcnota likes this.
  14. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Ok I just did my first test! I pricked my own finger too haha!! I used Janet's video, it was really helpful!

I have the ReliOn meter, his reading was 199, is that good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.