Abu!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mcnota, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Hi!
    My name is Megan and my 12 year old male cat Abu was just diagnosed with FD last week. We live in the US. He started prozinc insulin on May 5. He is getting 1 unit 2x per day. He is just over 13 lbs.

I got a home testing kit today, ReliOn Confirm. Did my first test, after pricking myself, I got a reading from Abu and it was 199. I am not familiar at all about readings, so could someone explain to me How that number is? I've read that 120 is the high end of normal, just want to make sure I am understanding this slightly.

This is a lot to take in, thanks for your help in advance!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You just joined and you already have home testing figured out, a spreadsheet set up and linked, and a signature....we already love you!!!!

Hi Megan (and Abu), and welcome!

Generally we suggest that new people don't give a shot if the pre-shot test is under 200. So 199 is right at that threshold. It's really a great number! Also, poking yourself from time to time is totally normal. I usually put a cotton ball/square behind Samir's ear so when I poke through it hits that instead of my finger.

Take a look at some of our spreadsheets, and go ahead and input any data you have: dates when you gave a shot, how much, and now you can also input that 199. Please ask if you have any questions about what goes where, or what the acronyms mean.

And if your vet is the one that suggested home testing, please give her a hug from us! If you just decided to start that one your own, then take the hug for yourself!

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Megan! Welcome to you and Abu! Djamila has given you good info, so I will just add that 199 really is a great number! Looks like Abu is in a good place.

Can I ask what you feed Abu?

4. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Well I have the spreadsheet but I have no idea how to use it! I look at everyone else's and I just am baffled how it's so organized! I have to remind myself I am only on day 2.

My vet kind of recommended home testing but my head was spinning when I left the office yesterday, so I had no idea what to do. I read a lot of posts on this forum and tried to figure out how to do it, and shockingly I did it! I was so proud of myself, and of Abu! Oh and I poked myself before I even gave the test, while I was getting prepared, haha!!

Right now Abu is still on his old food, Royal Canin, wet and dry. We will be switching his food soon. My vet didn't want to do too much at once because his numbers weren't all that high to start with. It took him 4 days to even believe it was true diabetes. But here we are! Hopefully we caught it early enough so it's really easy to manage!

What kinds of foods do you guys use? I've read Fancy Feast Classic and Friskies Pate are good ones. Do any of you do dry for grazing?

Can I also ask how all you have so much knowledge about FD?

I really am so grateful for this forum, I was completely overwhelmed all week thinking of him possibly having diabetes. Once I started reading in the group it really calmed me down!

I'm also going to need a lot of help figuring out how to give his shots consistently. I work shift work (start my week on night shifts, end on day shifts) so I really have no clue how to accomplish a schedule.

5. Djamila

I've used both FF and Friskies. Recently my kitties both decided they don't like FF, so they're mostly on Friskies and they also eat a lot of raw (Primal Turkey and Nature's Instinct Chicken or Rabbit). I leave out both canned and raw for them to graze on all day. I do live in a cooler climate, but it's never been a problem to leave it out. I add extra water to the canned so it doesn't dry out. Some people un-can it, add water, and freeze it. Then it thaws as the day goes on while they're at work -- stays fresher that way.

Our knowledge of FD comes from spending time on here and reading the resources and people's threads. Some of us also read a lot of other research on it, and some of us have great vets who have shared their knowledge as well.

We aren't vets, so know that what we share is our experiences and opinions. You are free to use them or ignore them.

Did you already start giving the insulin? How long after the shot did you get the 199?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Ok great, seems like a lot of good info on here!

How did you transition the food?

We just started insulin yesterday. He had 1 unit at 8am and 8pm yesterday and same today (I'm in central time zone).

I got the 199 reading at 635pm, the shot was at 8am. I haven't taken another reading since his shot at 8pm, but I plan on before I go to bed. And also I am going to wake up and take one at the 6 hour mark so I can try to get used to how his numbers are. I go in Wednesday for a curve at my vet. I'm terrified of him dipping too low, my vet said this is a low enough dose I shouldn't have to worry about that? I hope that's true. I feel a lot better now that I have the home tester so I can easily see what's going on.

7. Djamila

We all get nervous about our kitties going low. Home testing is the best way to keep him safe, so you're on the right track!

Here's a little to-do list for how this works:
    1. No food for two hours before each dose. Food impacts the blood glucose (BG) numbers, and you need to know what the numbers are without that influence.
    2. Get a BG test before each dose. We call that AMPS (a.m. pre-shot) and PMPS (p.m. pre-shot) Those two tests are "required." If you get a pre-shot number that is below 200, don't give insulin (that will change as you get more data, but for now follow that)
    3. The order of things is test/feed/shoot. Test first, then give food, then give the shot. If your kitty doesn't eat, then giving a shot can carry a risk, so make sure he's eating. Doesn't have to be a lot, just a tablespoon or so. More is fine.
    4. When you can, get mid-cycle tests. The usual nadir (lowest BG point) for a cat on prozinc is +5-+7 (five to seven hours after the shot). However, some cats are earlier or later. The curve will help you figure that out, although it can shift.

Transitioning food carefully is important. If you go from high carb food to low carb food, some cats will drop as much as 100 points almost overnight. So since you're on a high carb food, and just barely starting insulin, you're going to want to transition carefully. So start with a little new food, then a little more new food, then half new food, and then more and more until you're all the way to the new food. And don't begin that transition until you're comfortable with testing because it may require some adjustment in dose fairly quickly.

As far as the curve...you can do that at home for free. Many vets will insist on an in-office curve, and it's not my intent to get you in a fight with your vet. Here is the thing though: getting a curve in the vet's office will most often result in false high numbers. When a cat is stressed, their numbers go up. So then most vets will suggest a dose based on the numbers they see in the office which might be a lot higher than the numbers you'll see at home (hopefully your vet won't do that, but we see it a lot here). So go ahead and get the curve done (and make sure the vet gives you the numbers so you can see when the nadir is), but please please please don't increase the dose. Especially not before you've completed the food transition.

For now, get comfortable with testing, transition the food, and then if your home numbers indicate a need, consider changing the dose.

And I share this in the hope that it will help you feel more comfortable and prepared, so please don't let it scare you! It's links to information about what you need and what to do just in case your kitty does go too low. By the way, too low on a human meter is below 50:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hypo-links-be-prepared-just-in-case.48385/

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Djamila

Oh, and if you're comfortable, can you give more detail about your work schedule so we can try to help you work that out?

9. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Ok that's a lot of very helpful information. I will be taking a reading at the 6 hour mark since his last shot. Thank you.

My work schedule:
    Sun-off
    Mon-off
    Tue-230p-1030p
    Wed-130p-930p
    Thur-can either be 630a-230p OR 130p-930p
    Fri-630a-230p
    Sat-either 5am-1pm

I literally have no idea how to figure out a schedule.

what do you do when you have to go on vacation or something like that?

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So you're off for the next 2 days? Good! I'd suggest getting whatever mid cycle numbers you can so we can see how the insulin is working. We'll help figure out a,schedule before you go back to work...I'm going to need to think a bit about it but I'll get back go you tomorrow and I'm sure others will too!

11. Djamila

Well, it looks like roughly 2:30am/pm will work best. You don't need to sleep at all, do you? ;)

12. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Ok sounds great Rachel! Thank you!

My last test was at 635p and it was 199. I gave 1 unit at 8p, I just tested him (1030p) and it's 283. I'm going to test again at 2am.

13. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

Thats actually kind of funny because I had thought about that!

14. Djamila

How does your commute impact the times? How long should we add to factor in when you leave the house and arrive back home?

15. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

20 minute commute

16. Djamila

Okay, next question...when do you prefer to sleep on each of those days? Also, how do you even do this schedule and not walk around like a zombie?!?! You must have superpowers!

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  17. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

I just sleep like a normal person, when I get home from the night shifts I go to sleep, I'm usually up before 7am. When I work in the morning I usually go to sleep between 10p-11p. The schedule does suck but it's a good job :)

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Is there anyone else you could trust to give a shot? Trying to figure out a good schedule that will allow you to get some sleep. Perhaps a vet tech or someone who could drop by a few times a week to shoot?

19. Mcnota

Mcnota New Member

No I don't know anyone. Can I change the times every few days as long as it's not shorter than 12 hours?

20. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just my two cents. I'm thinking the 02:00 / 14:00 shot time would be best for your situation. Prozinc does have up to an hour flexibility with seemingly little impact on most cats :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you could have 11 hours or 13 hours between shots and not create major problems. I would avoid these back to back though. If you accumulate a lot of spreadsheet data over time you likely learn how to tweak doses up or down a bit to compensate for schedule changes too.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We do have members that do shots 11/13 due to schedules. I hate to suggest that 2:30 may be your best time, but it may be...I just can't see a really good option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.