Acceptable Canned Foods and Lots of Hypos

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Papooch1, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papooch1

Papooch1 New Member

Hi,

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes almost 4 years ago. I fortunately found the list of acceptable Fancy Feast canned foods on your website back then. My cat is starting to grow tired of the variaties and I was wondering if there is an updated list which may include other canned foods? I had heard that the pates are a good choice??? If there are any other Fancy Feast or any other brand that I could give him it would be great!! Also, are 2 or 3 Temptations Treats a day OK for him? Thanks so much! I really appreciate your website! Also, for the past 2 or 3 months my cat's BG has been going hypo alot and then the next day it will be high - any thoughts? Could it be because he is boycotting his food and not eating as much? He has always been a very big eater. I've been supplementing his canned food with grilled fresh chicken - he loves that! Thank you so much. Terry

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What insulin?
    What dose?
    It may be that the dose needs reducing or that there is a GI problem. Have you discussed this with the vet?

Cat Info has a table of nutrition info in the right hand column of the opening web page. Anything with < 10% calories from carbohydrates is fine.

Ex Friskies pates, Wellness Turkey and Giblet are a couple that are Ok.

3. Papooch1

Papooch1 New Member

Hi,

Murphy is on Lantus - 1 unit twice a day. He sometimes has a problem with constipation and dry bowl movements - I noticed this again about a week ago and called his vet, who advised me to start giving him miralax in his food once a day - 1/4 tsp, which I have had to do a few times. He had a really good bowl movement tonight (Murphy, not the vet! LOL) Last time he had this problem it took about a week for the miralax to really kick in. I also brought a fecal sample to the vet and it was fine. Thank you for the tip on the Friskies Pates. I will get some tomorrow. I really appreciate this website, thanks! :D

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd stay away from any of the Temptation type treats as they are all loaded with high carbs and calories which is what all FD cats should be staying away from............I buy the Pure Bites dehydrated chicken and my Guys love them! I mix some with their food as it's 100% pure protein and no additives and 0 carbs. I gave all my dried food and treat to my neighbour and stick solely with wet FF or Friskies and the dried chicken treats. If you buy them for dogs you will save lots of $$, just cut them into smaller pieces.........

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Many of us add some extra water to the canned food to help with that. It will help the Miralax work, too.

Also, check out Feline Constipation to learn more about the feline GI tract, how it works, what can interfere, and options for managing issues.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Terry and Murphy, and welcome to FDMB! :smile:

It sounds like you are testing Murphy's blood glucose at home. Is that right?
    What sort of blood glucose readings are you getting from him lately? And what glucose meter are you using?

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.