Accidentally left insulin out of the fridge!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harper'sHuman, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harper'sHuman

Harper'sHuman Member

I can't believe I did this, but I left my cat's insulin on the counter this morning. :eek: It was out for about 8 hours. Is it still safe to use? Will I have to replace it?

2. What type of insulin is it, and is it in a clear vial?

Carl

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If it is Lantus or Levemir it will be fine, the only reason we keep it in the fridge in the first place is to extend its life longer, since cats take such small doses. Lantus and Levemir are both meant for human use and are guaranteed up to 28 days for Lantus and 48 days for Levemir in humans with out being refridgerated. Not sure about the PZI/ProZinc since I have never used them.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette, Autumn & The Fur Gang

4. Harper'sHuman

Harper'sHuman Member

Carl, it is ProZinc in a clear vial, but it was in the box. Thanks!

5. OK, we've had this discussion quite a few times in the PZI forum. Exposure to light seems to be a bigger concern than being out of the fridge. If it was still in the box, then that's a great thing. Many Prozinc users have left theirs out for that long too with no ill effects. They usually recommend that you continue to use it, and see if there is an obvious indication by the BG numbers you get that the insulin is no longer working. If so, then yes, order some more. If not, then you might see that it starts to become less effective in the future (before the expiration date on the box), but in most cases, that didn't happen and everything was fine.

You can ask this on PZI and get direct response from the people who have done the same thing.

Carl

6. Harper'sHuman

Harper'sHuman Member

Thanks so much, Carl. I'll check out the ProZinc page. I'm new to all this, so I'm sure it will be a great help!

7. LOL, the PZI forum is where all the cool P kitties hang out! See you there.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.