AccuChek- Aviva Meter Accuracy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bucasmom, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucasmom

Bucasmom Member

Hello all :)

I have an accuchek aviva and recently bought a new stock of strips... I forgot that my pharmacist had said that there is a little chip type piece that plugs into the side of the meter, and that I should be replacing that chip with the new one that comes in each new box of strips that I use.... well I tested for a day before I realized this, so I'm wondering what are the consequences of forgetting to change out that chip to the one that corresponds to the new strips? Does that mean all my numbers were off?

2. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I heard recently from a diabetes educator that the chip is actually coded more for the date than the vial of strips, but I've not heard that elsewhere.

If you have control solution, maybe you could test a strip with the old chip in place and see if it reads within range.

But hey--it was only a couple days, and at least you tested :)

3. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I have used new chips with outdated strips and they work fine. so old chip with new strip should be ok. i do believe they are dated chips and not related to anything with the strip itself. so if it works, you are good to go

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that you were able to use the meter with the old chip but new test strips. My Aviva (it's several years old now) would not work if the chip did not match the test strips. Maybe the new Aviva Plus meter is different. Or the new test strips had the same chip number as the old test strips.

You can run a test with the control solution to check if the meter is working correctly with the old chip/new test strips. Or you can call AccuChek customer serivce and ask. Don't tell them that you are using the meter on a cat because they will not help you. Just say you are testing a family member.

5. Bucasmom

Bucasmom Member

It's definitely a different number because it displays initially when I turn the device on. I dont have control solution, and I already threw out the old chip. lol . Was just wondering if anyone thought it was going to mess with the numbers at all. It did still let me test with the new strips and the old chip so whatevs I guess :) I'll just have to try to remember next time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.