Acro cat chronic pancreatic with extreme Dehydration?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by barbp, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbp

barbp Member

Berkely Girl is diabetic, acromegaly (pituitary issues) and chronic pancreatitic. Sunday June 1 she stopped eating, would only lick the juice from the canned goods, sort of moped around. And during the wee hours of Monday morning she threw up 5 times -strictly large amounts of deep yellow bile. The only thing I could get her to eat on Monday (and here I am opening every known canned food of FF and Friskies, as well as human tuna and deli roast beef and chicken cutlets) was temptation treats (loaded with carbs-but I figure better to be alive with high BG than starved to death). So she had 16 treats and I note that she is sunken eyed and dehydrated so off to the vet she goes and is on IV fluids last night and all of Tuesday. Vet left message that she is now eating better but she is still dehydrated and no one can figure out why, with all these fluids etc. (other than she is so busy urinating?). Her BGs are pretty much the same (she is calm at vet)

Any suggestions? She is still poorly regulated, although I did see a few yellows and one blue on her spreadsheet (which is not updated, I have been so stressed).

Fortunately for both of us, I have a very large maternity/nursing cage for ferals. I put this in the SUV and I can put her litterbox in one end and a bed in the other and she is able to sit up right and lay stretched out and use the litter box on our trips to the vet. So she is getting quieter on the trips.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: Dehydration?

Edit the subject on your 1st post and add in (acro cat) to get attention from the high dose folks.

I know you'll need to keep following the protocol and upping the dose unless the tumor takes a break. The uncontrolled hyperglycemia is probably causing the excessive urination. May need IV fluids for a while plus the insulin increase.

3. barbp

barbp Member

thanks BJM, I edited the topic heading. I think I will ask the vet to send me home with the fluid bag.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is Berkley Girl on any medications for her pancreatitis? One of our members wrote a good Primer on Pancreatitis. Doing your own fluids is a good idea.

BJM is right, you do need to stay on top of increases with an acrocat. I don't know if you had her tested for IAA as well. Most of us here with acrocats on Lantus are following the Tight Regulation Protocol which means you don't hold onto doses too long if you aren't getting the nadirs you want. Don't hold doses longer than 6 cycles if you aren't seeing any blues. Acromegaly is a type of resistance and you need to stay ahead of it by keeping on increasing until you get better numbers. Your goal should be to try to get her to spend as much time as possible under renal threshold. That varies per cat, but is around the low 200's. That will also help the peeing and dehydration. Neko now pees as much as my non diabetic cat.

I hope Berkley Girl feels better soon and you can bring her home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.