? Acro confirmed; IGF1=430; Info on AMC Surgery???

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Maestro's Mom, Oct 27, 2018.

  1. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    We have an appointment on Nov 7, 2018 at MSU to discuss treatment options. They offer radiation but not sure this is something we can afford. I am interested in looking at the possibility of surgery at AMC in NY if donor funds are still available. How do I initiate that process?
     

    Attached Files:

    Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  2. Ana & Frosty (GA)

    Ana & Frosty (GA) Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2018
    You should call or email the hospital and ask for Dr. McCue. @Amanda & Shmee posted a nice long summary of her consultation, and I did the same after I spoke with him, although Frosty had Cushing’s and not Acromegaly.

    Once you get in contact with Dr. McCue you can ask him any questions you may have about surgery.
     
    sbluhrs likes this.
  3. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Thank you Ana!
    My condolences for the loss of your sweet boy. ❤️
     
    JeffJ and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

    Ana & Frosty (GA) Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2018
    You’re welcome, and thank you :bighug:
     
  5. sbluhrs

    sbluhrs Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    @Maestro's Mom, were you able to contact Dr. McCue? My Sophie had her pituitary surgery 4 weeks after Shmee and is 2 months post op. I am also a Sue BTW. I have a thread going in the Lantus/Levemir forum about how Soph is getting close to getting OTJ. Each cat continues to be different and @John Irene and TITAN and Shmee came off of insulin much faster than Sophie, but they were at a much lower level of dosage than Sophie. Soph had been on 20 units twice a day, and is now on needle juice and doesn't always need a shot twice a day - cruising towards being OTJ for sure.
     
    Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  6. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Hi Sue!
    I exchanged emails with Dr McCue and have been waiting for test results to come back from MSU.
    Maestro may also have a heart condition common in his breed (HCM), so our next step is to get an echo cardiogram to determine if he is a candidate for surgery.
    My husband recently lost his job so we are trying to figure this all out. Maestro is doing so well right now on 5.5 units of Lantus for several weeks with levels in blues and greens. On one hand we could just keep managing his diabetes and hope he continues to do well. On the other hand, if we are ever going to pursue surgery as a treatment option, he would have a better chance if he is as healthy as possible going into it.
    The other option is Cabergoline but my vet feels there is not enough evidence that it is effective and long term side effects are not yet known.
    So, that’s where we are...thanks for reaching out.
    “The other Sue” ❤️
     
    Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  7. sbluhrs

    sbluhrs Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    @Maestro's Mom - Sue - you are doing great with your boy. I would have killed to have Sophie in those numbers - All I saw with her before her surgery were pinks and yellows. The biggest problem with Acromegaly is that you think they are regulated and then their numbers will start climbing again. Sophie was great when I first got her. I had high hopes for getting her off of insulin, yada yada yada, but it just wasn't happening. I second guessed myself many, many times.

    That is the way Acro is. I totally agree with how you feel about getting your boy into surgery when he is still healthy. I was so freaked that I had waited too long, but I didn't know she was acro until 15 months after I adopted her. And then I stressed that I waited too long, but the opportunity for the subsidized surgery wasn't around in 2017, so its probably better that I didn't know then.

    If you want to know about any additional costs you might incur after surgery, minutia about the process, etc., please feel free to ask.
     
    Wendy&Neko likes this.
  8. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Thanks so much, Sue!
    We had to make a trip to my father-in-law’s house because of a medical emergency. He’s 89 and shouldn’t live alone any more so we are going to move him to our house until we can make other arrangements for long term care. Never a dull moment!
    I’ll probably be in touch to ask some questions once things settle down a bit.
    Give Sophie a scratch behind the ears and a hug!!
     
  9. Olive & Paula

    Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    I certainly understand the hesitation regarding cabergoline. It seems most vets feel that way about it. Yes, long term effects are not known, they are not know in regards to the surgery either as every cat, surgery and recovery is different. Along with the tumor being removed some hormones will be removed too. For me and Olive I just couldn't put her through the long recovery not knowing how she would be long term on hormone replacement. Anyway, Olive started cabergoline on 8.75 units and just went down to 4.5 units. She hasn't had any side effects and we are on day 55. I couldn't be more pleased. Could she always need some insulin, sure. Whatever you decide and when, I wish success for Maestro. Good luck with FIL. I was in that position last year with my father. I hope it's somewhat stress free and easily accomplished.
     
    John Irene and TITAN likes this.
  10. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Took him to hospital via ambulance today. Doing CT scans now.
     
  11. Olive & Paula

    Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    Prayers for FIL.
     
  12. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Thank you!
     
  13. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Thank you for the prayers! It was just severe dehydration. They discharged him and we are taking him to live with us for now.
     

Share This Page