Acrocat-is this Harley

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

In writing to another member, she wondered if Harley could be a acrocat based on his profile. Can anyone help me with this. What is it, where do I go for more information, is this serious? HELP!

Patty

2. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Hi,

To read up on Acro go to the HIGH DOSE forum. Edit: direct link didn't work?

You can get there by going to the drop down menu in the lower right hand corner.

There is some great basic info. located there.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I agree with whoever you messaged. If you got to 6u BID slowly and have seen little change, then it might be time to test for acro and IAA. The high dose forum has a sticky or two that explains both conditions and the tests for them. Sending hugs and purrs to you!

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Patti,

My Boo is an acrocat. There is an easy blood test that will give you answers. If you'll go over to the High Dose forum and read the stickies, there is a link to MSU (only place in North America that runs these tests). You will want both the IGF-1 and IAA. Your vet may try to talk you out of them, because many vets think acromegaly is rare. Just stand firm and ask them to do it, for your peace of mind.

I see in your history that Harley is prone to ketones. Because of that, please don't let anybody tell you to cut your dose, that maybe he's overdosed. Just get the tests done and go from there.

5. Harley and Pattie

Thank you. My vet at the U is very good about the dose of insulin. She did ask me to cut the dose about 5 months ago and ketones returned...after that, no more cutting of the dose. I am very careful about ketones and test daily.

pattie

6. Harley and Pattie

I have asked for all of the test results they did on Harley. I thought that they had done one to measure growth hormone but I cannot remember. With all the tests, IBD was the only diagnosis they could definitely come up with.

Pattie

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

To test for Acromegaly, you need the IGF-1 test from Michigan State Univ. An inexpensive add-on is to test for IAA (insulin auto-immune antibodies) (for $12 -- saves shipping costs to have it done at the same time)

The IGF-1 and IAA tests are both quite definitive -- no guessing if the diagnosis really means anything or not. Cushings on the other hand is very difficult to diagnose unless the skin is so fragile that it tears easily -- making wounds.

Please review the symptoms in the sticky posts and in the Acrotracker spreadsheet. (go to HIGH DOSE INSULIN SUPPORT GROUP for these)

The short-short version --
    strong-muscular build
    lower jaw might be unusual shape
    forehead may bulge somewhat (wider between the eyes)
    stocky/pot-belly that is firm (organs grow from the excess growth hormones)
    cardio issues (enlarged organs)
    loud breathing / snoring - especially when laying on their back
    may have large paws / thick claws
    may squint a lot / have headaches / walk in circles when they want to walk in a straight line
    (insulin resistant of course)
    hungry / good appetite

8. Harley and Pattie

Thanks. I have started to read the stickies on the high dose area. Kind of scares me to think there is more wrong with Harley. Of the symptoms you listed, he only has:

stocky/pot-belly that is firm, and is hungry or good appetite.

The vets have said the pot-belly is also a side affect of the budsonide he is on for the IBD. Since he is not really regulated, I thought the hungry all the time was part of that.

My vets are gone to a conference in Ca and I will ask to have the tests done when they return.

Pattie

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The MSU lab charges $44 and $12 or $14 for the tests -- your vet will add office visit, blood draw (two tubes) and cold-overnight shipping fees.

If you or they call MSU, they'll tell you the best method of shipping.
    (for example -- don't use US mail as it goes to a central mail room and may take an extra couple of days)

My vet did not think Norton had acromegaly -- they are trained to look for physical changes in appearance -- here at FDMB, we see it first in high dose insulin requirements.

The excess growth hormone affects each cat differently - it is not a checklist where every cat has the same list of symptoms. And it is progressive -- it starts slow and the output of the tumor is variable -- some cats get more growth hormone than others. Some cats have even gone OTJ - off the juice (insulin).

One study done indicated that as many as 17% of diabetic cats have acromegaly.

We haven't seen quite that percentage here at FDMB, but of course we only 'see' the diabetic cats who have human 'beans' willing and able to turn to the internet for information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.