Acupuncture.. Does It Help?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

So, I am taking Todd into our regular vet at 2 today. I think he is dealing with neuropathy, rather than arthritis.. though it could be both. But just by the fact that he's walking kinda funny, I think it's more than likely neuropathy. I've read that B-12 Methylcobalamin will help, so I'm going to ask the vet about that... I'm going to ask that the vet do a blood panel, check for ketones and so on today.

However, I am also thinking about trying acupuncture. We have a holistic vet within a 5 minute drive from my house and she does acupuncture. I don't know anyone that has used acupuncture on their cat. I don't know if it would help Todd or not. When I called the office of this holistic vet, I told the gal on the phone (not the vet herself) that Todd was 16, had massive weight loss, diabetes, CRF, appetite issues and arthritis. She said that acupuncture can help with all of those things, and even herbal medicine can help with the CRF. So I'm curious what other folks think about this idea. The first visit is $220. That is for an hour with the vet.. they do a full work up, go over medical history and do the first session of acupuncture, as well as showing me pressure points and massage I can do for him at home. After that, each acupuncture visit is $80. I'm not poor, I can afford it, though I don't want to pay for something that might not help at all or might make him worse. So thoughts/ideas would be great. OR.. if you're in the Seattle area and you have seen someone you like, please recommend them to me!

Thank you!

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but WFC & Meowzi get it done and she thinks it helps. If she doesn't respond in a day or so, you might send her a PM.

3. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Boo had acupuncture for his pancreatitis. I could definitely tell that he felt better after having it done. Luckily, we only paid $40 per visit.

My suggestion is to try it and see how he acts afterwards.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

As with many things, it helps some and not others. If you can afford it I would most definitely try!

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I vet I used to work for went to another vet for acupuncture. She said it really worked.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I used it for latte her last week when she couldn't Walk after taking a fall. Though it rarely shows positive effects immediately ( so I was warned), the only time she was able to walk that week was the evening after the acupuncture. I believed it helped and if she had more time (multiple complications) I think it would have made a world of difference for her. I wish I had tried it long before a crisis.

I hope if you chose that route it will help a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.