Acute Emergency I don't know what to do!! 8:45 pm Sept. 23

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwendyln, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwendyln

Gwendyln New Member

I took my cat to the Vet almost 3 weeks ago for weight loss, vomiting, excessive thirst (classic signs of feline diabetes) and the woman gave us hair ball paste, flea medicine, a worm shot and told me to fog the house and a bill for $150. She said if that didn't help to call back and they would get Cynthia in for a blood panel which requires her to be hospitalized. I feel like she could have been WAY more helpful, but knew (or counted on) that I would be back very soon with the same animal.

Today I read that a low carb diet would help -- could help considerably and so I put that immediately into play. Eight hours later or more, the cat seems still lethargic. Tonight she heaved one time after drinking water (in about 30 minutes after drinking). She cried to me and I picked her up gently and she lost her bladder on my lap. She's weak, and I don't know what to do. She had a small amount of dry food very early this morning and as soon as I read the information about the diet changes I took up the dry food and she's been ravenously hungry (another sign I read of probable diabetes) so she ate the food I made for her -- just fish, eggs, a small amt. of oil and some water. She seemed to tolerate that in small amounts all day. Then I gave her some chicken and she had a small amount of water (all I gave her was about 1/2 cup and she drank it all). Then almost 2 hours later she heaved and then (as I said) lost her bladder.

She's also 15 years old and although I absolutely adore her I don't want to put her through anything traumatic that isn't necessary. Frankly I can't afford this game my veterinarian seems to be playing with me.

Does ANYONE have any advice to get her though the night or should I just take her now to the emergency clinic. We can't afford this and if I have to put her on insulin it'll cost even more.

I tried to post on the site, but it didn't let me in with my password and user name.

I copied and pasted this from an E-mail I just sent the site administrator. Thanks for your help.

I'm going to read further.

Thanks, Gwendyln.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Hi Gwen,

Sorry not a ton of advice but I will see if I can round up a few more experienced eyes for you. You may also want to go back in to your original post and click on the red 911 thingy at the top that will put it on your post and will help more people get here asap.

For now try to just breathe...Help should be on its way shortly.

Mel

3. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

There are alot of things that could be going on. On the positive side, it sounds like she can hold down food if given in small quantities. Since holding down water seem to be a problem, you might want to consider mixing some water into the food, then feed that mixture in small quantities.

It does concern me that she doesn't seem to have bladder control, and that could be the sign of a serious problem.

Others will be here shortly to provide their input, so hang in there!

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Post your city/state --- maybe someone here lives in your area and can recommend a better vet.

A blood panel is definitely needed -- another condition that fits all the symptoms that you mention is Hyperthyroid. So a blood panel can tell you which it is...

Another thing would be getting a blood glucose meter for humans and test your kitty's blood sugar. We prick near the edge of the ear for a tiny blood drop.

5. Gwendyln

Gwendyln New Member

I hadn't thought of a glucose meter. What is a cat's sugar supposed to be?

Thanks to you all. I'm right here reading constantly.

I'm in Alabama near Mobile.

Gwen

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

loss of bladder control sounds like an ER visit to me, if that is not normal for her. At least call them and ask.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

MOBILE, ALABAMA

A cat's glucose should be similar to humans -- normal ranges from 60 to, say, 130.

For initial treatment, we recommend not injecting insulin if the kitty's blood sugar is below 200.
    (because of the risk of LOW blood sugar - hypoglycemia - which can have bad effects like seizures, blindness and coma)

So if you test your kitty, and the range is near 100 -- then something else is going on - not diabetes.

As I mentioned before -- the symptoms you mention also occur with Hyperthyroid. (I currently have one HyperT cat and two diabetic cats and two "civilian" cats)

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

If at all possible I would sure go to the ER vet. THere simply isn't anyway to tell what is going on here. There are so many possibilities. I hope you can find a vet that is more helpful.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gwen i don't know if this is warrented but i give away newbie kits. a glucometer, strips, lancets and a few other goodies...all i ask is price of shipment. however if your cat is not diabetic... i just don't know.
    a blood panel does NOT require a hospital stay...no way.
    and a urine test to check for urinary track infection also no hospital stay.
    i wish you could stop payment on your check to that vet as unless there is something we don't know yet i don't see how her symptoms fit the treatment.
    does your cat currently or at the time have fleas?
    we are here to help in any way we can.
    if a member lives close by they could come over and test your cat's blood glucose.
    lori

10. MommaOfMuse

Gwen,

Please keep us updated on how your kitty is doing, I'll be back here early tomorrow morning to check in on you.
    I'll be sending lots of prayers and purrs for your baby...We have fingers and paws crossed and that's a lot (2 beans and 10 kitties + one drooler)

Mel and the furry gang.

11. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Lethargy and vomiting ina diabetic not yet on insulin is cause for an immediate trip to the vet.

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Agree with Deanie. If she has diabetes and has not been treated she could have life threatening complications - namely diabetic ketoacidosis. This needs vet attention right away.

There is a huge unknown here and the err should be on the side of caution.

Gwendolyn - sending prayers for Cynthia...

I don't understand why she would need to be hospitalized for blood work? It just a simple blood draw. And any vet should be able to test for blood sugar in the office even if the other tests need to be sent out.

13. Gwendyln

Gwendyln New Member

Dear Everyone.

Well you were right. Cynthia had a real big problem and it's a good thing I took her to the vet. She had what was probably a cancerous tumor in her abdomen and it was the size of a grapefruit. She looked fat -- always was round, and plump. But anyway the vet showed me her xray and one of a cat who had problems, but not a tumor and you could see the difference immediately. Poor Cynthia must have been suffering for a very long time, but she was such a sweet animal and such a good cat .......

Anyway she's not suffering anymore. I'm heartbroken, but she was a really great friend for 15 years to our entire family and she had two litters of some of the most beautiful kittens I have ever seen.

RIP Cynthia. And thanks to everyone who was here for me. I'm not a regular on this board and I know what a commitment it is to be available in such places and I really do appreciate it more than you all will ever know. Cynthia too.

xo Gwendyln

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Tears for your loss Gwendyln. (((Big Hugs))) you did the right thing.
    Fly Free Cynthia girl.

15. MommaOfMuse

((((((Gwendlyn))) Not the outcome I ws hoping to see this morning but you gave your girl the last precious gift of love that we humans have to give our furry babies.

Fly free Cynthia and land softly at the Rainbow Bridge, you will be in good company until you see your Momma again.

Mel

16. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Gwendyln))))) I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free Cynthia. wings_cat

17. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry! Fly free sweet girl!

18. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss ...

19. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

20. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathy on the sudden loss of Cynthia.
    [​IMG]

21. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry...

Fly free sweet brave Cynthia, land ever so softly.
    :(
    jeanne

22. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Cynthia bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gwendyln you took on her pain in your heart to set her free from her pain. the last loving act of thousands and thousands i just know you did for her during her life.
    so sorry for the pain you feels at losing your dearest friend, ((((gwendyln))))
    lori

24. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

we are so very sorry for your heartbreak...

celi & binks

25. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I am very sorry to hear you lost your Cynthia. But you were so kind to let her slip away as easily as possible, the last gift of love you could give your dear little girl. It's obvious you loved her very much.

hugs,
    laur

26. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. I read your post yesterday and hoped everything would be okay. At least you're a good mama and did what was right for her; I hope someone close can ease your pain.

27. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I'm so very very sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you.

28. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

When my Fred's blood sugars are very high, he is more likely to pee, a little uncontrolled. So if it is diabetes...it may be just that...and Fred wears diapers, that part can be dealt with if it's not something else....

29. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

HI Gwen
    sorry I didn't read all the posts before I replied...so sorry but sounds like there was nothing you could do...prayers to your kitty.

30. Smokey

Smokey Member

Smokey and I are so sad for your loss Gwen. Our prayers are with you as you heal.

31. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending you many hugs.....(((((Gwen)))))

Fly free sweet Cynthia...you will be missed.

32. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Cynthia. My deepest sympathies. Fly free sweet kitty.

33. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I am very sorry for your loss. Be at peace Cynthia.

34. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss of your beloved Cynthia. How lucky she was to have an owner who cared about her and took her health seriously and wanted to do the right things for her. I'm sorry the right thing ended up being the "last thing". We all hate having to do that, but its the ultimate proof of our love, letting them go when its time even though we don't want to.

35. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Gwendyln. Fly free Cynthis rb_icon

36. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((GWENDLYN)))))))))))))))))

I am so very sorry for your loss. Wrapping you in cyber hugs. Cynthia is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

37. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Gwendlyn, we are so sorry for your loss. We just had to put our Ser down on Sunday 9/26 he'd thrown a blood clot to his hind legs. He had had similar symptoms leading up to it but began to recover. I imagine you are feeling the empty loneliness that we too are feeling here. The folks on this forum are certainly great to remind us that we are stewards to our companions, and as painful as it is, I think like you, we did the right thing.

Hugs to you and Cynthia from Ser and family.

38. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.