Addie is always hungry

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by addiebear, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addiebear

addiebear New Member

Addie was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago or so. We give her 3ccs every 12 hours before eating. We feed her wet food, fancy feast, half can at a time. We try to feed her throughout the day but it is hard when we are both at work. My boyfriend has been getting up in the middle of the night just to feed her.

Recently she has been acting like she's starving. Trying to steal food from us, getting on the counters, digging through trash. This is very unlike her. She has also been very growly, so I can see why if she feels like she is starving all the time. We have a vet appointment coming up this friday, but was wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime.

She also does not like our other cat, Chicken, and will hide away most of the time. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? I feel like she is not happy :(

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Unregulated diabetics are literally starving as their bodies can't process food efficiently. So you can work on getting her regulated and feed her a little more food. One thing that would really help is if you would test her at home. Three units of insulin is a lot more than many of the cats here are getting - it is possible that she is dropping too low and that the dose is too high. Tests at the vet are just not as reliable as tests at home since stress raises levels and most cats are very stressed at the vet. So doses based on those tests can be too high.

What kind of insulin? What was the starting dose?

Let us know how we can help. We have taught lots of people how to test over the internet and we'd love to help you help Addie.

3. sophie

sophie Member

HI & welcome!

I have recently read on this forum that cats average 1 ounce of food per 1 pound of weight per day. How much does Addie weigh? Unregulated diabetics might need as much as 50% more of food. Is there any way that you can leave enough food out so (1) your awesome boyfriend :smile: can sleep through the night & (2) Addie can eat as much as she wants or needs? Adding some water to the food might help prevent hard peaks from forming on it. Also, giving catnip might jolly her up a bit.
    Best wishes,
    Sophie

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Another possibility: Are you home testing? If her insulin needs have dropped, she may be trying to prevent herself from going into hypoglycemia by eating.

All you need is an inexpensive human glucometer, matching test strips, and 26-28 gauge lancets to get a blood droplet. Many of us in the US like the ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro, or the Prime, all from WalMart. For those who eschew WalMart, American Diabetes Warehouse sells the Arkray USA Glucocard 01 or 01 Mini which are unbranded versions of the Confirm or Confirm Micro.

Please consider dropping the dose in half immediately if you are not testing. Also, see my signature link for some assessments you may wish to make to monitor her health.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

My 3 cats only need 1/2 an ounce/ per pound of body weight of wet food a day to maintain their weight. If I fed them 1 OZ of food per pound of body weight, they would be severely obese. ECID so you may need to adjust the food intake for your cat.

6. sophie

sophie Member

Hi,
    I had to laugh at myself, my very large, though slim, 15 lb Pudge eats almost precisely an average of 1 oz of canned food per pound of weight each day! Statistical averages keep us grounded, but don't help much more than that, as each cat dances to its own unique drumbeat each day! Good point to emphasize! :smile:
    Best wishes,
    Sophie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.