Adding a member to the family

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tessa and Cathy, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tessa and Cathy

Tessa and Cathy New Member

I am seeking any infromation any of you may have concerning adding another kittie to our family when we already have a 14 year old diabetic.
    I would appreciate all thoughts and concerns.

I have recently lost two of my babies within eight months of each other and am lonely for another baby.
    However, I am concerned with how the extra stress will affect my diabetic kitty. I understand that stress puts the numbers up and currently I am having difficulty getting her re-regulated for what reason we do not know.

I do not want to make Tessa (our sugar baby) worse but I am lonely for my lap cat and I think that our other tabby (who is 10) missing being followed around by his playmate K.C.

Please share any experiences you have had or how you feel about adding another furry child to our family.

Your help is appreciated. I have changed my mind off and on for the past four months.... I just want to do the right thing.

Thank you in advance!

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well can't answer the question about stressing out your sugar baby, but as someone who has just recently added two new kitties to our furry hoard I can say it has probably saved 2 of my civies after we lost our sugar baby Muse in May. Amon Ra & Sophia went into a deep funk after Muse passed, last Thursday we added Elektra & Duvessa a pair of twin tuxes. Sophia almost immediately took to mothering our new babies and Amon Ra has finally stopped driving us nuts with his crying for his old friend.

After Muse passed Amon Ra would wander around looking very lost and checking all Muse's old haunts crying, nothing seemed to comfort him. He even started to become aggressive to the other cats. Once the little girls joined us, he at first hissed at them, then in just a few days he started to lick them but only if he thought we weren't looking. Today I found him cuddled up with them on Muse's old bed.

Hopefully other will chime in shortly about the stress to your sugarbaby, but if that doesn't seem to be a problem. I would say start looking for that perfect new member. Ours have certainly been a joy and helped our family recover from the loss of our sweet Muse.

Mel & Muse (GA)

3. Tessa and Cathy

Dear MommaOfmuse
    I am very sorry for your loss. I know how you must be feeling.
    Thank you for your response.
    It is funny that you should reply as I am looking for a tuxedo as that was what my baby Jazsmine was who went to the rainbow bridge on January 15th. She was like a person and seemed like she really could understand us so that is why we want to get another one. It seems like most of the Tuxes are males and I am afraid to get a male as our big red tabby is very territorial and I don't want him to start spraying. He is and has been the only boy cat in our household.
    Hopefully others will respond and I will have some kind of gauge that will make my decsion easier.
    My husband says to just do it. But my Tessie has been a hider all of her life and I don't want to do anything to make what life she has left worse. I always thought she would be the first to go but she is still hanging in there.
    I am hoping to soon get her sugar levels back on track.
    Thank you again and I appolgize for rambling on!

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Oh Man I wish you were in Nebraska, our girls have 2 more tux sisters that are looking for homes. There were 6 in all, 2 solid blacks and 4 tuxes all females. They had a tough start in life so I'm trying to help our friends and their saviors find them loving homes. You see they were born in a snowstorm and were found by our friends on the sidewalk only moments after their birth cold and not moving, Jenna scooped them up and rushed them inside to warm them with a blow dryer and started rubbing them, she saved all 6! But they manage a feral colony of about 16 atm so these need homes, plus they are just far too social to be allowed to turn feral.

Mel & Muse (GA)

5. Tessa and Cathy

Story of my life.... that is exactly why we wanted that type because they are so friendly and social.
    We will keep looking....
    Have a great evening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.