Adding Broth To Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jt and trouble (GA), Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

This is NOT a diabetic kitty question but a cat health question...

Our Vet recommended we add broth to Zoe's food to help prevent crystals in urine. She said to buy the canned broth and dilute to half strength with water then add to food. My questions are:
    The canned broth contains "reduced salt" Is it not bad to give a cat that might have crystals any salt?
    And
    To make the ice cubes (for storage) do I heat the diluted broth mixture before I freeze or after? Or does it matter?

We already add water to her food but apparently not enough.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.
    jeanne

2. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Hi Jeanne, Another option is to make your own chicken broth at home so that way there is no salt or added ingredients.

Here's a simple recipe:

1) Put the leftover bones and skin from a chicken carcass into a large stock pot and cover with cold water.

2) Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to bring the stock to barely a simmer. Simmer uncovered at least 4 hours, occasionally skimming off the foam that comes to the surface.

3) Remove the bones and strain the stock.

4) If making stock for future use in soup you may want to reduce the stock by simmering a few hours longer to make it more concentrated and easier to store.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

Thank you but I already know how to make broth...I should have been more forthcoming...At the Vet's office hubby hung on her every word and subsequently,like any good daddy, went out and bought all kinds of cans of broth. He meant well. I just wanted to use some of the cans up... but you're right the best thing to do WOULD be to make my own.

I still would like to know about a Vet recommending a product containing salt...I just thought that was weird.

j.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you are diluting it 50/50 with water that may reduce the concentration sufficiently that it isn't a problem.

Is it not possible to return some of the unused cans? At an ice cube amout per serving, it could take a while to go through them.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Haha yeahhhhh but I gotta at least use one of the cans. DH was so proud of himself...I will use the others to add to my soup or stew when I make that. That or I can donate the extras.
    And yeah the Vet said to dilute 50/50 with water, I'm just being OCD I guess, :/
    Thanks guys
    j.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Be careful there isnt any onions or garlic in it. I think making it yourself would be easier. You could make a big batch and freeze them in ice cube trays for when you need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.