? ADDING MORE FOOD TO A FEEDING, SPIT UPS & HAIRBALLS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Madeline528, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi, Layla is in remission since 12/10/2015. She been on low carb diet (fancy feast classic & fancy feast flaked fish & shrimp). Two 30z cans split into 3 meals ( 3/4 can @ 7 am, 1/2 can @ 2pm, 3/4 can @ 7pm) & boiled chicken breast @ 10:30pm. We had a vet visit because she would sometimes spit up clear liquid with white foam & loose strands of hair in mornings before feeding. Vet suggested 1/4 tablet of Pepcid ac daily with her pm meal & giving her 1/4 of can more @ 2pm (she's 8lbs & vet would like her to be 9lbs). I started the Pepcid ac two weeks ago (within the 2 wks, Layla has spit up 3 times). My concern is adding more food. Would that cause her bg levels to go up? What's best for these spit up's? He also, suggested giving her lactulose (for hair balls) but I know that's a NO NO!

Thank you Madeline:)

2. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Madeline528 and LaraB like this.
  3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hi Madeline :cat:

If Layla needs to eat more food to maintain her weight then she needs to eat more food. Instead of making one meal larger (which will put a bit more stress on her pancreas) I might add an extra meal right before you go to bed or get a timed feeder and set it for 2am. Several people have kitties that throw up a bit of foamy vomit if they've been too long (for them) without food so giving an extra feed in the middle of the night may be enough to resolve the problem.

I give Vyktor Cat Lax if he gets a furball. Although the ingredients include non-diabetic friendly ingredients (like malt syrup and caramel) the product is not absorbed. It is designed to pass right through and hopefully bring all the fur with it so it doesn't affect glucose levels.

Madeline528 and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.