Additional health concerns when OTJ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

About to arrange a visit to a foster that has a 4yo siamese in remission - his owners gave him up when they were given his diabetes diagnosis. Poor guy, that breaks my heart!!

Foster says he's on a mix of dry and wet food (mostly wet) and hasn't needed insulin in 2 months.

I'm wondering if there are any other health concerns to monitor a sugar kitty for?

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Since he's a foster and you don't know how long was he on high numbers and all the history asking about his kidneys is not a bad a idea also ask what dry food are they giving is rare a cat in remission on dry food (unless is low carb )

kimberbee and beggargirl like this.
  3. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

I was told he was on insulin for only a week, and at only 1 unit once a day.

I'll definitely ask to have copies of any test results for future reference. It sounded like the family surrendered the pet to the vet as soon as diabetes was found. The foster has had him in their care for about 2 months now.

4. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

And here I am grabbing cats at the shelter who already have diabetes. How silly of me. Just dump them off somewhere if they get sick.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Also ask if a fructosamine test or any thyroid tests were made and if by any chance he had any type of infection or illness at the time of the diagnose with such a short period having insulin and with his age he may not even be a diabetic and his high numbers were because of something else and of course went down as soon as he was ok

kimberbee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.