Adopted a Diabetic cat!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SophieB, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SophieB

SophieB New Member

Hello :) totally new to this and diabetic cats.

I'm a vet student and Sid came in on Wednesday from a shelter to be put down for being diabetic so I decided to give him a chance,set him up a donations page and try and give him a nice life :) needing some advice !

BJM and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Well done, you! Sid is very cute. :)

You've come to the right place for advice. If you post on the General Health forum with some basic information (Sid's age, other health conditions he might have, what he eats, insulin being used, whether you test his blood glucose at home, what glucose meter you use, etc.) you'll have a ton of responses in no time. Meanwhile, there's lots of info to be found in the informational Stickies on the main page and on the individual insulin pages.

I'm thrilled that a vet-in-the-making is visiting here. Some owners of diabetic cats are lucky enough to have excellent guidance from kitty's vet as they treat FD and others ... not so much. You'll get to see up close the level of expertise that this group of owners has amassed in their collective time looking after diabetic cats. It's astounding!

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sid is adorable!!!! Bless you for saving him!

SophieB likes this.
  4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

There has to be a special place in heaven for people who adopt old or sick pets. You will have a waiting room full of cats when people learn you have a diabetic cat. There is so much to learn here. Most vets don't know much about FD. Welcome.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Me, too!

Mogs

6. yukon25

yukon25 Member

Welcome! Sending good vibes to Sid and you. And thank you for giving him a chance!

SophieB likes this.
  7. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!
    Bless your heart for saving this beautiful diabetic kitty! You will get so much love back from Sid, we can all confirm that! Your bond will get even closer with a diabetic kitty then 'normal' kitties because you two need to work together!
    My kitty Baco is now in remission for almost 6 months but we've gone trough it all together and she was so used to testing and all the syringes... she would wake me up for her shot if I sometimes would sleep in a couple of minutes haha:smuggrin: and after waking me up she would sit there waiting for me to grab the test kit, test her then gave her her food and then she would sit still after it so get her shot! Soooo cute:cat:

Elizabeth and Bertie and SophieB like this.
  8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. Lots to learn here. Take a look at my signature links for some useful tidbits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.