advantages of vitamins

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

A friend of mine owns a tanning salon and said that vitamin D is close to becoming a cure for cancer. I wonder how D would work in cats?

I would like to start my guy on some vitamin therapy because of a throat problem. I asked the vet to give him Enisyl F and he said no.

My guy is suffering from what the vet calls Eosinophilic Granuloma in the roof of his mouth or it could be worse.

Any ideas out there?

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Gandalf suffered swellings on the pads of his feet from the time he was about a year old, not long after I moved to a new apartment. They progressed to the point of being open sores and eventually they would erupt on his chin and mouth. I did not notice any inside his mouth or on tongue, but they were bad enough I sought veterinary treatment. Most vets (I took him to at least 3 different places for this) treated it topically with antibacterial ointments. They would heal after a few weeks, only to return or he'd get one on another foot.

Eventually I took him to a clinic where they knew right away what it was and the treatment was a steroid shot. Simple enough and within 3 days they would clear up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eosinophilic_granuloma

Gandalf received those shots at a rate of 3 per year for 7 years. I have the documentation. They were shots of Depo Medrol steroid. The steroid and horrible diet of Hairball Control food is probably why Gandalf has diabetes. Please avoid this steroid if you can.

I was told that the granulomas were probably the result of an allergen, which the Wiki article also states. On Dec 30th 2001 I moved to a new place. Gandalf needed 3 more depo medrol shots after that, possibly from residual affects in his system of the allergen, but the granulomas just stopped within a year of moving.

I'm not sure how you go about finding which allergen. I never did, although I would suspect something in the carpeting of that apartment because they began on his foot pads.

4. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Vicky, when you were describing the osres and swelling it sounded like EG, which Bert has.

Bert also has Diabetes because of a Depo shot for EG.

I don't use that vet anymore, but, have been using his partned which has alos proved to be a mistake. I now go to a vet 45 miles away. Most of the loca vets are not too well informed. As I understand it, on the Coast, they never use Depo on cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.